Why become a member? ×

Celinder,,how good??

bubinga5

Personally I prefer them to a Fender of the same age. They feel a bit more played in for some reason. The P-bass I have is particularly good but I suspect the sound depends largely on how soft and dense the body wood is. Some people on Talkbass claim they're the best modern equivalent to a preCBS Fender but I think they're still more hifi sounding. Our friends on the continent like Spinal Tap and Wombatboter have probably owned and played more than I have though.

What are you planning to use the J4 for? If I was going to have one Celinder, I'd probably go for something like that black PJ5 for sale in the classifieds. You could probably cover quite a few basses/bases with that.

I hear they're the best, and I've wanted one for a long long time now. I think I'd be apprehensive about putting an order down on one at the moment because I'm torn between doing so and maybe getting a Sadowsky next... but I think I'll keep my eyes peeled in the next few months for a second hand one.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='428232' date='Mar 7 2009, 09:11 PM']I hear they're the best, and I've wanted one for a long long time now. I think I'd be apprehensive about putting an order down on one at the moment because I'm torn between doing so and maybe getting a Sadowsky next... but I think I'll keep my eyes peeled in the next few months for a second hand one.[/quote]
They have a good reputation but don't believe the hype. Try one if you get a chance and let the bass speak for itself. This is what the bass bashes were originally arranged to do.

I love my Cellinder Jazz Update. I picked mine up second hand from the Gallery when I was out to get a Sadowsky. Played it against two Metro jazz basses, an original '65 jazz, a couple of Laklands and a Lull and it sounded, felt and played better than all those.

Not really a pre CBS sound, more a mid 70's sound, and then some. The one I have plays fantastic and has no deadspots whatsover. The Cellinder pre-amp is very good and unlike the typical bass/treble/mid preamps we have all got used to. Basically a single tone control that changes the various frequencies when making the sound more treble biased or bass biased. Also comes with a passive tone control. This and my original '62 P Bass are the only two basses I would never part with.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='428241' date='Mar 7 2009, 09:31 PM']They have a good reputation but don't believe the hype. Try one if you get a chance and let the bass speak for itself. This is what the bass bashes were originally arranged to do.[/quote]

I have indeed tried a couple of Sadowskys when I was last at the gallery and I liked them a lot, just never a Celinder. I should have probably jumped on those bass bashes.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='428512' date='Mar 8 2009, 12:27 PM']I have indeed tried a couple of Sadowskys when I was last at the gallery and I liked them a lot, just never a Celinder. I should have probably jumped on those bass bashes.[/quote]
If it helps, maybe leave your name with Alex and tell him you'd like to try one? Chris Celinder sometimes sells used basses on consignment through them as well as new ones. All the basses I've owned have been through the Gallery at one time or another and the used ones have been at quite reasonable prices.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='428528' date='Mar 8 2009, 12:40 PM']If it helps, maybe leave your name with Alex and tell him you'd like to try one? Chris Celinder sometimes sells used basses on consignment through them as well as new ones. All the basses I've owned have been through the Gallery at one time or another and the used ones have been at quite reasonable prices.[/quote]

I might do that. I'm really interested in the Update J's.

I reviewed a Celinder J4 for the bass mag about 6 years ago and it was just utterly awesome. It's the only bass other than the GB Rumour that I reviewed in the first issue that made me want to sell everything I have in order to get one! I never did, but I know damn well that at some point there will be a Celinder in my collection. Really great basses.

Stu

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='429073' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:12 AM']I reviewed a Celinder J4 for the bass mag about 6 years ago and it was just utterly awesome. It's the only bass other than the GB Rumour that I reviewed in the first issue that made me want to sell everything I have in order to get one! I never did, but I know damn well that at some point there will be a Celinder in my collection. Really great basses.

Stu[/quote]

I played a couple at the bass bashes. The one that Kiwi was just sold is pretty awesome. At the end of the day, they are familiar shaped basses... made how they should be made. They just feel... "right".

The updates are the 70's style. 70's pickup locations, ash body, Greengrove pre etc. I've had mine put away for a month or so since getting the Sadowsky, but I cracked it out last night and it blew me away all over again. It's *so* responsive.

Edited by Toasted

[quote name='Stuart Clayton' post='429073' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:12 AM']I reviewed a Celinder J4 for the bass mag about 6 years ago and it was just utterly awesome. It's the only bass other than the GB Rumour that I reviewed in the first issue that made me want to sell everything I have in order to get one! I never did, but I know damn well that at some point there will be a Celinder in my collection. Really great basses.

Stu[/quote]

I remember that review, it really made me want to look further into Celinders. There seem to be quite a few companies offering boutique Jazz basses across the water but I like the idea of supporting a European builder like Chris, who seems to have a great outlook on the whole uber-Jazz bass thing.

Well FWIW, I like the sound of the 1994 red one I have (which Alex said was the second jazz Chris ever made) more than the black one which was a little bit of a one trick pony for my purposes. I'm going to ask Andy at Wizard to wind the pickups so there's more warmth and lower mids coming out and then I think it might be the last jazz I ever own.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm joining the GAS list for one of these. Crying for a J4!

I own a Sadowsky Metro 5 and a Lakland DJ 4 at the moment. Considering i'm probably not going to get the chance to play a Celinder before I buy, would you guys who have played/own one say they are heavy? also concerned about the size of the body...

Also, the necks look REALLY lacquered. Are they still fast necks?

I don't want to believe the hype, but I can't help myself!

I'd probably have to look at getting one 2nd hand, as I've read a few horror stories on the net about waiting times on new ones.

The necks are very good. The one on my red Update J is half way between a p and a j neck in nut width (I've measured it!). The black update J I sold was a little bit narrower but still wider than a jazz.

I think the strongest thing about Celinders is that Chris has genuinely cracked the secret of what makes a good jazz and precision bass and manages to deliver instruments that are [i]consistently[/i] good. You wouldn't think it would be so difficult but for the fact that there are so many others out there who have managed to nail it sometimes and missed the boat completely at other times suggesting that they haven't quite understood what they need to specify in the wood. Some manufacturers like Ernie Ball are extremely specific about the growth rings per inch, moisture content etc. in their maple and ash (and so they should be). They can probably afford to be that specific if they're buying massive bulk orders too. For the smaller buyers, its more a case of taking what is offered from their local timber merchant as its not in the merchants interests to spend much time going through a load of sawn logs and picking off the stuff that meets the standard. Thats often left to the luthier to do anyway.

I did talk to Chris about doing an MM/J type bass at one point but he thought there wasn't an awful lot that he could do as a luthier to improve on the original stingray design (which is paying a massive compliment to EB stingrays). Whether the neck is lacquered or not is a matter of personal taste, Chris's operation is sufficiently small that I'm sure he could accommodate some minor tweaks in finish. In fact it might even be easier for him to do a satin finished neck because it requires less sanding and polishing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='458456' date='Apr 9 2009, 02:27 PM']Some manufacturers like Ernie Ball are extremely specific about the growth rings per inch, moisture content etc. in their maple and ash.[/quote]

A passing comment sparks off a whole chain of thoughts about bass manufacture that had just never occurred to me before.

Now that you mention it, it's obvious that high-end manufacturers must do exactly as you describe!

I'll be thinking about that all evening now.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist, the only basses I play are jazz and precision's (preferably passive). I've played 2 Celinders and they are the best basses I've ever played, including a lot of boutique and vintage basses from the 60's and 70's. I'm not saying they are the best basses in the world but I haven't found anything better for me. I own a passive Celinder jazz and I doubt I'm ever going to be selling it unless for unforeseen circumstances.

I guess people sell them because sometimes you just need the cash or you've found a better bass that suits you.

Edited by TimmyC

[quote name='largo' post='458613' date='Apr 9 2009, 05:38 PM']One question, if they are that good why do people sell them :)[/quote]

Almost every bass I've ever seen for sale here has been described as "the bess bass I've ever played" by the seller. I think people are just generous and they don't want to keep all the best basses for themselves.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='458756' date='Apr 9 2009, 07:43 PM']Almost every bass I've ever seen for sale here has been described as "the bess bass I've ever played" by the seller. I think people are just generous and they don't want to keep all the best basses for themselves.[/quote]
Must see you coming then? :)

But seriously, probably because they know how desirable they are, and can sell 'em on if they have too many. There are different flavours but all taste good and one is never enough.