Why become a member? ×

"Shape" bases that don't headbang

NicoMcJ

I've played more than a few basses over the years, but I haven't even come close to playing ALL of the basses.

I've always wanted a "shape" bass to help me overcompensate for my distinctly average playing.

The trouble is, all of the shapes I've played seem determined to headbutt the floor and I end up gravitating back to my J-types like the old friends that they are.

The only shape I've ever had that balanced well was my Sandberg Forty-Eight, but that was made of iron and concrete, so it was equally unsuitable for a 3 hour show, jut in a different way.

Does a "shape" bass that balances well and doesn't weigh 6 tonnes even exist?7

Any recommendations?

Anything Bootsy has played is... different.

Takamine did pointy black and red basses.

Overwater Original is kool.

T-bird is to be considered, reverse or not.

The time of hair, glitter, and heavy produced quite strange instruments, like B. C. Rich.

There has been machine guns, stars, sticks and so on.

http://1musicstudio.blogspot.com/2013/04/guitar-shapes-explained-part-2.html

And in the interests of natural justice, I DID google....and Big Red X was right and I was wrong; I can't find any evidence to support what I write and I can find lots to support what he wrote.

I never studied the headstocks of the things closely enough ( inexplicably !)

So abject apologies due and delivered !

• Thanks 1

I didn't like them then....I have a perverse attraction now ( which doesn't extend to actually wanting to buy one...)

Did they use the headstock on another of thwir angular 80s efforts....?

I think they did; that's my excuse for getting confused and I'm sticking to it !

I can confirm what Jus Lukin said.

I have a couple of Epiphone Vintage Pro thunderbirds, one sunburst and one white. I fitted a set of Gotoh GB-640 res-o-lite non-reverse vintage tuners to each and apart from giving improving the look of the bass, they are noticably lighter compared them to the stock tuners. I use Comfort Strapp neoprene straps which are grippy enough to prevent any potential neck dive and the stretchyness makes the basses feel lighter somehow.