Machines

Backup bass survey  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Back up bass at a gig?

• Never taken one. Never had a problem.
    • Never taken one. Needed it.
    • Always take one, never needed it.
    • Always taken one and have needed it.

I never used to take a spare bass to any but the biggest gigs - just a set of pre-cut-and-stretched strings and the usual cables, batteries and fuses. I've had various cables, a DI box and an amp head go bad on me during a gig, though, and I got to thinking that all those pieces of kit were well looked after, appeared to be fine when I checked them over before setting off and worked fine last time I used them... but they still failed. These days I always take a backup bass and spares for anything I can't make do without, but that's essentially just the bass, strap, tuner, cable and DI box, so the whole kit fits in the front of the backup bass gig bag and sits at the side of the stage hoping never to be opened. I should probably check the backup kit a little more often than I do, if anything.

One interesting thing I've noticed is the response from many venue sound guys when something goes wrong; they rarely seem to stop to ask whether we have spares - they just turn and jet off round the venue, feverishly looking for members of other bands to try and borrow stuff from. Either our band looks especially disorganised in some way, or band members carrying spares is very much the exception rather than the rule in their experience!

6 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

One interesting thing I've noticed is the response from many venue sound guys when something goes wrong; they rarely seem to stop to ask whether we have spares - they just turn and jet off round the venue, feverishly looking for members of other bands to try and borrow stuff from. Either our band looks especially disorganised in some way, or band members carrying spares is very much the exception rather than the rule in their experience!

That's interesting, as I don't think the kind of sound guys on our circuit would even remotely get involved with that, hard enough to get them to deal with issues with their own equipment!  Bands asking to borrow gear on the night is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.  Before now I've had a headlining band ask to borrow my backline an hour before their set, which is just ridiculous.  Absolutely no issue asking in advance within reason but turning up on the night unprepared is just unprofessional, and that goes for reasonable backups too.  Once a guys bloody strap of all things snapped mid set and ran backstage and gave him mine, as I would have thought spare straps would be a step too far for most!

Again, it comes down to how serious you take it.  I would hate the idea of finishing a gig with anything by my own instrument, as I am particular about my setups, but yeah, each to their own i guess!

On the time I had to use someone else’s bass due to mine failing (electrical problem) it was doubly embarrassing as I was meant to be lending a band mine for the evening, as they’d flown in from Germany. Luckily the bassist of the headline band was great about it all and lent us his backup, a Squier Matt Freeman Precision which more than fitted the bill.

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

That's interesting, as I don't think the kind of sound guys on our circuit would even remotely get involved with that, hard enough to get them to deal with issues with their own equipment!  Bands asking to borrow gear on the night is a HUGE pet peeve of mine.  Before now I've had a headlining band ask to borrow my backline an hour before their set, which is just ridiculous.  Absolutely no issue asking in advance within reason but turning up on the night unprepared is just unprofessional, and that goes for reasonable backups too.  Once a guys bloody strap of all things snapped mid set and ran backstage and gave him mine, as I would have thought spare straps would be a step too far for most!

Again, it comes down to how serious you take it.  I would hate the idea of finishing a gig with anything by my own instrument, as I am particular about my setups, but yeah, each to their own i guess!

We’re an originals-only melodic metal band, so the kind of venue we play usually has rather blurred lines between roles for promoters, sound guys, bar staff ..and punters 🙂 

Completely agree with you - I’d much prefer to finish a gig on my cheap little Ibanez that I set up than end up borrowing even an impressive multi-thousand-pound thing from somebody else that just feels wrong. Plus not everybody has the same hygiene standards when it comes to instruments!!

And yeah, absolutely - if your main plan, let alone your backup, sounds anything like “it’ll be alright - somebody there will have one we can borrow”, then you’re probably not taking it seriously enough for my liking.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Once a guys bloody strap of all things snapped mid set and ran backstage and gave him mine, as I would have thought spare straps would be a step too far for most!

I always have spare straps and leads within reach at gigs, couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I always have spare straps and leads within reach at gigs, couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Fair play! Out of interest, what about a strap do you expect may fail?!  The incident I mentioned was a result of it being heavily worn, but I would have retired a strap long before it got to that stage.

Leads, absolutely.  I play wireless and still have two backup instrument leads.

I don't expect a strap to fail, but for the effort involved in having a spare in my bag of stuff I carry around, it makes sense to have one. No having six at home when the only you have with you at a gig fails! I can't recall ever having one fail, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I take two of everything, often including a spare speaker cab, though my primary 'amp failure' back up is a sansamp. 

I have played a gig where my amp failed during the first song, and my bass was damaged when it fell through the drum kit during a break. I had spares for both and neither caused mire than a couple of minutes delay.

I work on the principle that if something can go wrong, eventually it will, and usually at the worst possible time!

Edited by FinnDave

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

No I pick up my spare bass. The soldering iron has been used during set up /soundcheck or half way break but not for intricate stuff. I now carry those little joining blocks for quick emergency cable making/mending. 

Since I discovered obbm my cables don't fail but other people's do. Also if I'm not going home between gigs I have plenty of time to fix a loose wire. 

Which is exactly my point. A spare bass. I was referring to those who take all the tools but no spare bass, as Im sure you’re aware. 😉

51 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I work on the principle that if something can go wrong, eventually it will, and usually at the worst possible time!

This is how I approach life, based on way too much experience!

• Like 1

I take spares for everything really.

Taking a second bass covers most bases. Even things you dont think of that could get damaged - strap pins, machine heads, strings .... and then of course you (or some idiot) could drop a bass and snap its neck.

I also take spare strings just in case, as well as tools - screwdriver and allen keys.

I always have a spare amp too, and a spare pedal for DI purposes if need be.

I draw the line at taking a spare cab, although I do take a monitor which could be used to feed the bass back through should the worst happen.

I think I've only had to use a spare bass once (snapped a string), and a spare amp once which just didnt get on with the venue electrics and had a terrible hum. 

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

Which is exactly my point. A spare bass. I was referring to those who take all the tools but no spare bass, as Im sure you’re aware. 😉

Well yes.

*cough*

I'm not the kind who just reacts without grasping the thrust of a post. 

Oh look over there 

*sound of running away*