Why become a member? ×

Nuts!

Jakester

Playing my relatively new-to-me 5-stringer, I notice I kept pinging the G-string off the fretboard. It's not a huge problem, but annoying from time to time. 

A closer inspection suggests that the G-string is closer to the edge than the B, and that there is a larger gap at the nut between the D and G than any other string. Essentially, it seems to me that the nut needs to be recut so that the slot for the G-string is a little closer inboard. 

Here's a pic:

IMG_9345.thumb.jpeg.be43adf39e4791195bfc0aada76dd985.jpeg

Given there isn't much likelihood of my local guitar shop opening soon, I was thinking about buying one of the pre-slotted Graphtech nuts and giving that a whirl. Has anyone done that? Any particular type better or worse than any other? 

Or should I have a stab at doing my own with a couple of synthetic blanks? I could get some needle files (not shelling out for proper nut files at the mo!) and probably get a reasonable approximation of the current nut. Anything I should watch out for (other than horlicksing it completely)?

1 hour ago, nilebodgers said:

That looks too close at both sides given the fret end bevels. I’d be looking at a custom bone nut with tweaked string spacing to move the outer strings in a bit.

I think that could partially be the angle of the picture - not had any problems with the B (but it could do with the slot widening anyway as it's a bit fatter than the last string that was one there). 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Space between d and g does look a lot wider (even allowing for string thickness) than the rest 

Yes, that's what caught my eye  - I suspect it probably had a new nut at some point in its life and it wasn't quite bob on. 

I’ve seen and played worse (a US MM 5 string Sterling springs to mind) but that does look wider to my eyes too. What you could do is, fill the G slot with cryo or epoxy glue and then just recut the slot on that nut.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’ve seen and played worse (a US MM 5 string Sterling springs to mind) but that does look wider to my eyes too. What you could do is, fill the G slot with cryo or epoxy glue and then just recut the slot on that nut.

Good shout - thanks!

1 minute ago, ClassicVibes said:

If you do go for the pre cut Graphtech option, just be aware that you'll still have to do some filing once you have received and installed it. 

Yep, I'm anticipating that - thanks.