Why become a member? ×

Electrics Advice Please

stewblack

Item: One bass guitar. 

Problem : No noise comes out. 

Available tools : multimeter, screwdrivers, pliers, axe, soldering iron. 

Done so far: had a look inside for unattached wiring. 

Success so far: nil. 

Found an assortment of problems. Two cables trapped between pots and scratchplate, both severed to varying degrees. Two different connectors on pots bent together and shorting. 

Tested continuity everywhere and now all is well but the sound is extremely quiet and fuzzy. I'm going to get a new battery just in case. 

2 hours ago, KiOgon said:

Well found, if the red battery wire has been shorting though the pot body you battery will most likely be goosed. You have a multimeter don't you?

Yes, I do. Put in a new battery and found a poor connection, resoldered it and bingo! I have a working bass. 

While I have the ear of the master, is it beyond the wit of man to make a hole and put a different pup into an active bass? Do they need to be specific pups for active circuitry? 

This is an OLP Musicman and I like everything about it except for the sound. I'm a pbass kind of guy and the only pick up here is too far back for me. Happy to not have the bridge pup at all and blank it under a homemade plate, or leave it in unconnected. 

12 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yes, I do. Put in a new battery and found a poor connection, resoldered it and bingo! I have a working bass. 

While I have the ear of the master, is it beyond the wit of man to make a hole and put a different pup into an active bass? Do they need to be specific pups for active circuitry? 

This is an OLP Musicman and I like everything about it except for the sound. I'm a pbass kind of guy and the only pick up here is too far back for me. Happy to not have the bridge pup at all and blank it under a homemade plate, or leave it in unconnected. 

I felt the same about my Ray34 although I did want to keep the Ray tone too so I put the Delano hybrid pickups and sonar 2 pre amp in.

3 minutes ago, Waddycall said:

I felt the same about my Ray34 although I did want to keep the Ray tone too so I put the Delano hybrid pickups and sonar 2 pre amp in.

Is it as simple as pop a pup in and wire where the existing one was wired? Assuming I didn't keep both. 

57 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Is it as simple as pop a pup in and wire where the existing one was wired? Assuming I didn't keep both. 

Not really. I changed everything except the bridge ground wire, jack socket and battery clip. It would probably be possible to use the system with the existing preamp but I’ve no idea how it would work out. I can follow a wiring diagram but without one I’m lost!

Edit: actually I think not as you’d need to at least add a blend pot or selector switch as well as the active passive switch. It would be easier to change the preamp as well and wire it up as per the Delano diagram.

there are probably easier ways of getting what you want  though.

130D6E2A-A19D-4869-9681-D4AC20BB6D31.png

Edited by Waddycall
Wrongness