Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Wilkes Fretless
£299
North East UK

Mike Rennie

Beautiful example of late 80’s Doug Wilkes Fretless, set up by himself about 5 years ago. Brazilian mahogany body, Canadian rock maple neck, Indian rosewood board, Schaller hardware. One humbucker and one neck set piezo pickups. Sounds and plays like a dream, fantastic value for money.

0B0C8B9C-97C2-4240-B4A5-258E20897C89.jpeg

5FBFEF91-1945-4220-85EE-557751A59C0F.jpeg

793440C8-949A-4113-AB14-4DCF1A92EC23.jpeg

41B70F1A-579B-4108-909D-14A27CF78394.jpeg

FA5A2C08-B751-4CD6-8F4C-DD622A5B5C65.jpeg

47BF20F9-9249-4A08-80FF-29A3C5B94412.jpeg

F6A6B7A0-3E30-4D4D-89C8-A00443BF7715.jpeg

Edited by MB1
  • Like 8

Fabulous luthier and fabulous bass - I agree entirely with the above!  Crazy bargain - these are beautiful instruments and the equal of pretty much any contemporary hand-built in the UK

The famous ‘slap plates’ bass! I must now go to my happy place and repeat the mantra, “I don’t need three fretless basses.”

EDIT: Oh hang on, that’s the piezo p/up (should’ve gone to a more reputable optician). I think I’m safe - phew!

Edited by ezbass

26 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The famous ‘slap plates’ bass! I must now go to my happy place and repeat the mantra, “I don’t need three fretless basses.”

EDIT: Oh hang on, that’s the piezo p/up (should’ve gone to a more reputable optician). I think I’m safe - phew!

You’re right about the slap plates - that was exactly their purpose.

I had one of these in the ‘80s, mine being exactly the same but in black, and equally markerless 🙂

I believe the actual name of the bass was a “Wilkes Percussive Fretless”.

CB 

46 minutes ago, Gaucho 5 said:

Definitely percussive with "slap plates" !

Ash did I not sell you mine many years ago???

Gaucho

Yes probably I’ve had four of them over the years. Always searching for the right bass and then I go back to my old Precisions and the Grabber! 

• Like 1

Here's the full text of his apology, posted in 'Status',  a newbie can't be expected to navigate himself around our site as well as us old uns..!

'Hello everyone, just wanted to offer apologies for my perceived rudeness. I have been targeted by courier scammers on other platforms so may have become over sensitive. Sorry. I should have been clear I will only sell in a direct meeting and that’s not easy in these crazy times. 
Having said all that, the bass is still there and I’m sure I can work out how to deliver to the lucky buyer

Best

Mike'

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

This has got to be #1 on the Ludicrous Bargains list this week. Superb classic bass for an absolute steal. GLWTS!

23 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Would bite your arm off if it had cheat lines!

At that price, you could get a luthier to add lines and you'd still have a bargain bass.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Rich said:

This has got to be #1 on the Ludicrous Bargains list this week. Superb classic bass for an absolute steal. GLWTS!

At that price, you could get a luthier to add lines and you'd still have a bargain bass.

At this price, you could even view it as a “losing the cheat-lines dependency” trainer 🙂

Only small complaint I had about my Wilkes Percussive Fretless back in the day was that the body was heavy. Someone else will be able to confirm or deny my memory in that regard.

CB

• Like 1

• Rich changed the title to SOLD - Wilkes Fretless
  • Rich locked this topic