Why become a member? ×

New modern bass for rock

Marcray

12 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

For that money and to be ‘different’

Spector Doug Wimbish Bass

Jackson Dave Ellefson signature Concert Bass

Status Stealth bass (Headed or headless) with whatever preamp they do you prefer (with LED’s of course!)

Fano do very good instruments and do a nice take on a reverse thunderbird 

Aria Pro II SB

Rickenbacker

Stingray Special

Schecter C4 Apocalypse

Orville Thunderbird

Peavey Cirrus

just a few ideas 

Status is definitely on the list, and I have a Peavey TL-5, my only fiver.  I love it.  The Cirrus is a nice bass. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Wouldn't it be easier to change your pickups/electrics/strings on your current basses?

Drop in modern voiced pickups, preamp and ss roundwounds, and you have a modern sounding bass.

I’ve thought about that, but it’s not really my style.  I’m also interested in something that has new build elements. Something fresh.  I appreciate the idea though. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Marcray said:

Status is definitely on the list, and I have a Peavey TL-5, my only fiver.  I love it.  The Cirrus is a nice bass. 

You will not regret a Status - Stealth Is the best on most different.

302 preamp is killer

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Uhhh, good I did not see those before buying my first Spector, which, ironically, was a white Euro LE 😎

The white Spector.  A classic.  When I first saw Sting with his it was like “woah!!!”.  I did a record in the early 90’s and I was desperately trying to prevent it sounding too hair metal by using an old crusty Guild Bass I had, but the producer forced me to use a Spector that the guitar player owned.  It played and recorded beautifully but sounded very “corny” to me at the time.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimmy23cricket said:

Sorry, am I missing something here. Budget of 3 to 5 grand!?! 

surely if you’re fussy, it’s custom build all the way! 😂

I’m not sure I have the knowledge to explain exactly what I want in terms of build specs etc. Electronics maybe, but neck shapes etc would be guess work, whereas I’d like to pick up a bass and just say “well this is amazing”.  Only truly had that once and that was a John Cruz custom shop, which is not what I’m looking for now. 

@Marcray You’re right in that case - unless you know exactly what you want and are confident that is not going to change, then getting a custom build is a long wait for an inevitable painful loss. Ideally for £3k, you want a a superb masterbuilt £7k that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marcray said:

I’m not sure I have the knowledge to explain exactly what I want in terms of build specs etc. Electronics maybe, but neck shapes etc would be guess work, whereas I’d like to pick up a bass and just say “well this is amazing”.  Only truly had that once and that was a John Cruz custom shop, which is not what I’m looking for now. 

I feel then that the best thing to do is go to a good bass shop and try try try! Unfortunately, everyone on here will have a different idea of “perfect”. For your budget, you could find what you like and then pretty much either get it, or shop around for a good second hand one. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmy23cricket said:

I feel then that the best thing to do is go to a good bass shop and try try try! Unfortunately, everyone on here will have a different idea of “perfect”. For your budget, you could find what you like and then pretty much either get it, or shop around for a good second hand one. 

Agreed - one of the reasons I gave a gozillion options of not run of the mill!

14 hours ago, Marcray said:

The whole point of getting a luthier to make you a custom bass is that they do all the hard work for you.

When I had my Sei made, I picked them because I liked one of their bass shapes. Other than that I specified 5-string fretless in grey and orange that had the potential to make me sound like Mick Karn. Martin Petersen at Sei did everything else. When I was unsure about a specification he had me play a selection of basses in the shop and asked me what I liked and disliked about them. Then he used that information to make my bass.

Any luthier who is not going to offer this level of service is IMO not worth using.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

The whole point of getting a luthier to make you a custom bass is that they do all the hard work for you.

When I had my Sei made, I picked them because I liked one of their bass shapes. Other than that I specified 5-string fretless in grey and orange that had the potential to make me sound like Mick Karn. Martin Petersen at Sei did everything else. When I was unsure about a specification he had me play a selection of basses in the shop and asked me what I liked and disliked about them. Then he used that information to make my bass.

Any luthier who is not going to offer this level of service is IMO not worth using.

Yes absolutely, and if I had a personal relationship with one that had those resources then I would probably go for it.  I am good friends with an extremely respected luthier who’d love to build me a bass but it would include a certain amount of experimentation on his part as he doesn’t hold a lot of stock.    He’s used to people handing him their 54 precision and saying the they want “this shaped neck with...”, and I’m not that bonded to anything specific like that.  I can say I’ve enjoyed a Spector neck, I want a paddle headstock, we can talk about neck joints, body woods, shapes, until the cows come home.  And that’s our problem.  He tends to over think.  He’s so perfectionist in his work.  I’ve asked him if he wants to go into business but he is so unable to commit to finishing builds, and with balancing repairs etc.  And as soon as he finishes an instrument, of unbelievable workmanship, he wants to break it apart to fix something he’s not entirely happy with.   So you can see, this makes me a little anxious.  

There is a guy I want to talk to who made an an instrument for a friend and when I’m back in England I’ll try to meet him.  I’m in no hurry. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, therealting said:

@Marcray You’re right in that case - unless you know exactly what you want and are confident that is not going to change, then getting a custom build is a long wait for an inevitable painful loss. Ideally for £3k, you want a a superb masterbuilt £7k that someone else has taken the depreciation hit on. 

This.

Don't get a custom.

I both of the customs I've owned were not good experiences and were sold on at a heavy loss in both cases.

If you've got the temperament and patience to repeatedly return to your luthier of choice and bug them to fix what you hadn't noticed as being an issue in the excitement of "new instrument syndrome" six months earlier, then go right ahead.

I've had a delaminating fretboard, poorly implemented electronics, pickups I ultimately didn't like and an inability to use strings I wanted coupled to difficulties getting the intonation right because of the bridge hardware. And I got so wrapped up in it all that I ordered a four, thinking it would be "enough". It wasn't.

That was one of them. You can see where I'm coming from, I think...

Whilst "production" instruments may not be as exclusive, their greater volume of manufacture means that any issues get thrashed out during R&D / prototyping..

Anyways, modern bass. Modern tone? Bags of clout and versatility?

MusicMan Bongo. And keep the change!

2 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I'll admit that a bit of me died when Muzzy left/was given the Spanish Archer.  Still unsure which was the case.

According to Ricky 4000, the whispers are that Calhoon and Wimbish were big pals and Calhoon wanted him in. As I said to Ricky, the only thing worse than Stain, was the plop stain in my pants when I realised what I'd spent my money on. 

Edited by P-Belly Evans

2 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

According to Ricky 4000, the whispers are that Calhoon and Wimbish were big pals and Calhoon wanted him in. As I said to Ricky, the only thing worse that Stain, was the plop stain in my pants when I realised what I'd spent my money on. 

I have to admit Muzz is my favourite by far, i really didn’t mind stain, and i quite like the recent album although its is a bit ‘ver produced’ and heavily compressed.

Having seen them on their Vivid tour last year, Doug was spot on as was the whole band

His pedal board was nuts !

Edited by Cuzzie

5 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I have to admit Muzz is my favourite by far, i really didn’t mind stain, and i quite like the recent album although its is a bit ‘ver produced’ and heavily compressed.

Having seen them on their Vivid tour last year, Doug was spot on as was the whole band

His pedal board was nuts !

I will have to check it out.... when I pluck up the courage😎. Thing is I never really had anything against Wimbish prior to Stain. I even liked a bit of Tackhead. It was probably just coz it was so horrid sounding for me compared to everything Muzz played on.