Why become a member? ×

Best bass for fending off burglars?

uk_lefty

Practically speaking you don't want anything heavy, it may hit harder but you'll wear yourself out quickly and be slower to recover from each swing, leaving yourself open to counter attacks. You also don't want anything too large or unwieldy either, in case you've not got much room to manoeuvre.

Medieval maces and warhammers were a lot lighter than people expect for these exact reasons.

In my opinion, the ideal combat bass would be something along the lines of a headless Steinberger-type.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Ladders said:

In my opinion, the ideal combat bass would be something along the lines of a headless Steinberger-type.

Main advantage being that you can beat the crap out of someone with it, confident in the knowledge you won't need to re-tune it afterwards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 19/05/2020 at 23:29, Ladders said:

Practically speaking you don't want anything heavy, it may hit harder but you'll wear yourself out quickly and be slower to recover from each swing, leaving yourself open to counter attacks. You also don't want anything too large or unwieldy either, in case you've not got much room to manoeuvre.

Medieval maces and warhammers were a lot lighter than people expect for these exact reasons.

Agree, only time I’ve ever hit anyone with my bass was a straight jab with the headstock in the face. Would have been far too much effort to take a swing with it, plus given the size of the stage all of have probably hit would have been the wall or ceiling.

• Like 2

A long, long time ago (in a Galaxy etc.), I smashed up an Ibanez Roadster bass at a gig.  It was a horrible PoS and I'd just had enough...

I'd kept the neck and used to keep it under the bed.  We'd been burgled at our old house and I just felt that if it happened again while we were in the house I'd have something to swing and dish out some Johnson justice.  I know there's probably a ton of SJWs out there that would be going, 'Oh, no, you can't do that,' but I figure, my house, my kit, my family and I wouldn't be bothered about asking any masked intruder what the fork they were doing in my house in the middle of the night.

My brother used to do weekend gamekeeping near Windsor.  He had an armoury of guns, one of which he always used to keep loaded in his bedside cabinet. 

• Like 1

I think we should really be considering amplification defence too:

• tilt your 810 cab onto its castors and charge at their shins
  • seal your valuables into an SVT-VR and chortle as they make it halfway down your drive before collapsing
  • plug in and play 'Mustang Sally'
  • Haha 1