Why become a member? ×

NBD: Sire P7 V String

skej21

A little bit later than anticipated but here's a NBD thread for my recently acquired Sire P7 5 String (V2) in black. I don't normally start these kind of threads but as I intend some modifications down the line and can't find many threads relating to mods on this bass, i thought it might be a good place to share!

Initial impressions are that the bass is fantastic to play, but I bought this as a project, so changes are coming... (no offence meant to all the die-hard Sire fans!) 

***Thread is worthless without pics!*** so here goes :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OliverBlackman said:

Out of curiosity what would you want to do with it?

Well, I’ve already put flats on it and I’m not keen on the bridge saddles or the tuners so tempted to change those. Also, the more I play it, the more I’m realising that the pickups could be improved and at the same time, I might revert to VVT (as I’m mostly keeping the EQ flat and in passive mode and I use a preamp pedal all the time anyway).

On my V7 I changed the tuners and string tree, and added chrome control knobs, strap lock buttons, and a homemade ramp. Quite a few P/V owners seem to change the bridge too, especially on the 4 strings, but I've never felt the need.

20200519_132125.jpg.e06e0d6ae9dc147d788ba59b6e703a00.jpg

• Like 2

On 19/05/2020 at 15:05, Rich said:

On my V7 I changed the tuners and string tree, and added chrome control knobs, strap lock buttons, and a homemade ramp. Quite a few P/V owners seem to change the bridge too, especially on the 4 strings, but I've never felt the need.

20200519_132125.jpg.e06e0d6ae9dc147d788ba59b6e703a00.jpg

Just out of curiosity, which hipshot size replacements did you go for?

• 1 month later...

So a little update on this. So far I’ve fitted some Dunlop flatwound strings, bought a thumb rest and ordered some strap locks.

I also ordered a solderless passive VVT wiring loom from @KiOgon (thanks again!) and today, stripped the old scratchplate off in preparation for cutting the new one. As you can see, I decided to cut and crimp the wires, so that pickups etc can be dropped in and out with ease in the future.

As the controls will be located slightly differently, this required a little redesign of the layout on the plate. I worked from a USA Fender 5 string PJ to get these in a place that should look right. 

For now, the plan is to fit the new scratchplate and wiring loom with the Sire pickups, but I might upgrade them to something different in the future. 

43C6922A-306F-443A-9B12-177C08630C9E.jpeg

9C650987-0F09-4842-92D4-00AE7C064746.jpeg

Edited by skej21
spelling durp
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Scratchplate finished (big thanks to Bass Doc!) and fitted, along with the passive loom and a thumb rest. 

Surprising how easy (and cheap!) it was to get this converted to passive and give it more traditional twist. The next things I might change are the pickups (thinking maybe the Aguilar PJ hum cancelling set) and/or tuners. That would require an investment similar to the bass itself though, so need to think about it more!

Edited by skej21
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, ezbass said:

That looks quality to me. I’m not a fan of masses of controls (Sire are a huge offender in this regard) and this sits nicely with my personal aesthetic. 
👏👏👏

Exactly the reason I decided to change it! Yes, it’s possible to have it in passive mode with the stock active circuit but for me, I like the look of it when it’s less fussy!!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I fitted a replacement pickguard on my P7 (the stock one was de-laminating), and I also changed the control knobs for chrome one’s. The pickguard was from Jack’s Instrument Services in Manchester, I’m really pleased with it and it looks a lot better than the original. (See photo).

I wasn’t keen at all on the stock black plastic control knobs, did Marcus really sign off on those??

The only other thing I would change (at the moment) is the string tree, I like the look of the one’s you’ve fitted and shown on your photos. With regards to the tuners and bridge I think the stock items are fine, not 100% sure on the pickups, even though the bass has a “P” split pickup at the neck, to my ears it doesn’t quite capture that Precision Bass sound? Anyway I’m leaving those for the moment, but if ever EMG bring out a Geezer PJ set for 5 string basses I would get a set without hesitation! I’ve got some on my Precision Bass and they’re brilliant (IMHO).

658B7676-E632-4A3D-9B29-40DE575082AE.jpeg

• Like 2