Why become a member? ×

Moving to 5-string: would it be a problem?

Kevin Dean

10 hours ago, FinnDave said:

As a pick player (last five years) after having been a finger player (previous 40 years), I am not sure I understand the question.

Before I got a 5 string I didn't understand the fuss about string damping either.  On a 4 I just used my left hand.  On a 5 you suddenly don't have enough fingers and it's easy to set a string ringing ... had to learn right hand damping and forced to admit it's really quite useful.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I experimented with the 5 string thing a few years ago, so I hid away all my 4 strings and played the 5 strings exclusively for 6 weeks. I eventually came to the conclusion that I much prefer 4 string basses and that I didn't really need the increased lower register for the type of music I play. Sold it on and chalked it down to experience. The main problem for me was inadvertently hitting the low b with muscle memory when you really needed to be playing the 4th string.

Edited by Quilly

On 25/05/2020 at 12:49, therealting said:

@chris_b You will still get sympathetic vibrations. A combination of left and right hand muting is generally needed on 5 strings and above. I still find myself thinking about it when playing slap in particular. 

I found that the sympathetic vibrations are usually much quieter. But, yes, two handed muting is the best solution to aim for.

59 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I experimented with the 5 string thing a few years ago, so I hid away all my 4 strings and played the 5 strings exclusively for 6 weeks. I eventually came to the conclusion that I much prefer 4 string basses and that I didn't really need the increased lower register for the type of music I play. Sold it on and chalked it down to experience. The main problem for me was inadvertently hitting the low b with muscle memory when you really needed to be playing the 4th string.

If a 5er doesn't meet your requirements then, of course, go back to a 4. I'd have given the change over from 6 months to a year so your muscle memory can really settle in. I was particularly bad at hitting the wrong string when I switched!

I've been working on 5-string for a year now.  The extra string issue goes away in time though my smallish hands still struggle a bit with the extra width of fingerboard.  Harder is learning to play in all the new positions it opens up instead of slipping back into first position and open strings.  You CAN play it as a four with extra deep notes, but I think that's not the main point. 6 weeks to learn a new instrument is perhaps a bit short?  Especially if you're and old dog (like me) doing new tricks.

• Like 1