Why become a member? ×

Shoutout to Hercules Stands

Iacopo San

I only own one Hercules product (because I'm notoriously tight with money) it's a multi instrument stand, sits at the end of my bed with 9 basses in it. Well made and I'm happy with it. 

When I played a T Bird I very nearly bought the one they make from which the bass hangs. However Thomann produced a near identical one at a favourable price point. It has never let me down. 

I wouldn't hesitate to hang a bass from the wall, but I don't own the room in which I live. However if I did I'd use a heavy screw in U hook from my local hardware shop. 

black-everbilt-garage-storage-hooks-24255-64_1000.thumb.jpg.4e0118a4f1cb81dbccc9a686e61773af.jpg

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

These are superb! I can't fault them got lots of guitars hanging from them for years without any problems. Secure and practical.

I would love to put all my guitars/basses on these, but only have plasterboard walls. I'd be really afraid my boat anchor jazz would end up on the floor.

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I only own one Hercules product (because I'm notoriously tight with money) it's a multi instrument stand, sits at the end of my bed with 9 basses in it. Well made and I'm happy with it. 

When I played a T Bird I very nearly bought the one they make from which the bass hangs. However Thomann produced a near identical one at a favourable price point. It has never let me down. 

I wouldn't hesitate to hang a bass from the wall, but I don't own the room in which I live. However if I did I'd use a heavy screw in U hook from my local hardware shop. 

black-everbilt-garage-storage-hooks-24255-64_1000.thumb.jpg.4e0118a4f1cb81dbccc9a686e61773af.jpg

In case anyone thinks no-one in their right mind would actually do this, then of course, you're completely right:

hanger.thumb.jpg.d5acec76d74ea65b6c6e68526b1f02af.jpg

However - it's been on this wall for nearly 6 years, and about 3 years at my previous place . And that Daion P weighs a ton.

Apologies for the Indian restaurant wallpaper - no time to decorate properly when we moved in, and now it's fallen off the bottom of the list... :D

1 hour ago, sammybee said:

I would love to put all my guitars/basses on these, but only have plasterboard walls. I'd be really afraid my boat anchor jazz would end up on the floor.

I have plasterboard walls too mate. I used the metal plasterboard fixings and they are solid. As I said, they have been hanging for years and I regularly take them down to play them, so they are getting well used. No problems at all.

71250301-2B6B-4711-A701-6E21C204727A.jpeg

Edited by ubit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

In case anyone thinks no-one in their right mind would actually do this, then of course, you're completely right:

hanger.thumb.jpg.d5acec76d74ea65b6c6e68526b1f02af.jpg

However - it's been on this wall for nearly 6 years, and about 3 years at my previous place . And that Daion P weighs a ton.

Apologies for the Indian restaurant wallpaper - no time to decorate properly when we moved in, and now it's fallen off the bottom of the list... :D

Yep I've used them before, good solid fixture. Cheap and no moving parts 

3 hours ago, ubit said:

I have plasterboard walls too mate. I used the metal plasterboard fixings and they are solid. As I said, they have been hanging for years and I regularly take them down to play them, so they are getting well used. No problems at all.

71250301-2B6B-4711-A701-6E21C204727A.jpeg

4 hours ago, sammybee said:

i have 2 of these, one in a plasterboard wall, as @ubit  says they are fine as long as you use the right fasteners, i always throw away the ones in the pack and use heavy duty fixings from the Diy shop, the one on a plasterboard wall has been there for about 10 years and has spent a fair amount of that time holding my 1977 precision bass which weighs about 11.5 pounds, it hasn't moved a bit. i trust them totally

the other one is holding up my beloved McIlroy acoustic in the living room , if i hadn't popped in to buy the hanger that day with my wife then i never would have bought the guitar.

Matt

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Matt P said:

i have 2 of these, one in a plasterboard wall, as @ubit  says they are fine as long as you use the right fasteners, i always throw away the ones in the pack and use heavy duty fixings from the Diy shop, the one on a plasterboard wall has been there for about 10 years and has spent a fair amount of that time holding my 1977 precision bass which weighs about 11.5 pounds, it hasn't moved a bit. i trust them totally

the other one is holding up my beloved McIlroy acoustic in the living room , if i hadn't popped in to buy the hanger that day with my wife then i never would have bought the guitar.

Matt

What exact fixings are you using, do you have a link at all? thanks!

17 hours ago, Matt P said:

as long as you use the right fasteners, i always throw away the ones in the pack and use heavy duty fixings from the Diy shop

yup, never use the plastic ones. They are pants. Use these, they are really secure and easy to use

s-l1000.jpg

• Thanks 1

i have tried the metal ones that @ubit shows but never had much luck with them (they always seem to pull a massive chunk out of the wall in my house) i have used a few different types for various stuff in the house,  i think they are most likely one of the bigger Rawl uno type (blue or brown with the thickest screw they suggest) this type are also holding up a overloaded floating shelf in the living room.

https://www.rawlplug.co.uk/product/uno-universal-plug/

Rawl Interset are very good if you can measure what thickness the plasterboard is.

https://www.rawlplug.co.uk/product/sm-interset/

The metal screw in type are for lighter duty stuff according to the Rawl website. i don't know what they class as light duty though. they must be used with the supplied screws as well.

https://www.rawlplug.co.uk/product/dra-02-metal-self-drill-fixing-for-drywall/

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sammybee said:

These are the ones that I think I might get.. Is this the right size for the Hercules hangers if I have standard thickness drywall - R-SM-05052 ?

yes they look right, the plasterboard should be at least 9.5mm thick so they should work fine, i think that the 5mm thread should fit fine through the hanger, you might want a washer to help spread the load over the hanger a bit maybe as i'm not sure exactly what shape the heads are on the screws

Matt

the toggle type are very strong, but you do need to install them correctly as once you remove the screw the toggle can fall into the cavity never to be seen again! the interset type allow you to remove the hanger (so that the room can be repainted for example) then the hanger can go back where it was.

Edited by Matt P
typo

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

i have tried the metal ones that @ubit shows but never had much luck with them (they always seem to pull a massive chunk out of the wall in my house)

Are you screwing them in with a screwdriver? If they are pulling bits out of your wall you are either hammering them in or your Gyproc is sub standard because I have never had any problems with these anywhere Ive used them.

Just now, ubit said:

Are you screwing them in with a screwdriver? If they are pulling bits out of your wall you are either hammering them in or your Gyproc is sub standard because I have never had any problems with these anywhere Ive used them.

yes i followed the instructions carefully and they just seem to make a total mess and i've never trusted them. i prefer to drill a nice clean hole then use one of the other types, there is a chance that the pasterboard was to blame but the other types don't seem to be so picky about the wall.

i've just watched the video on the geefix website and i'm not totally convinced, it's a pretty big hole that's needed in the wall, i would be more convinced if they had compared it to more types of fixing rather than just the 2 they did, also the section of plasterboard they used for the geefix was not the same piece that failed on the other 2 types (maybe that's me being cynical!)

if you got one of those geefix in the wrong place then it's a bit more of a job to patch the 25mm hole compared to the 8 or 9mm hole that other fasteners use.  as i'm always putting holes on the wrong place (apparantly) that would be an issue for me.

Matt

Edited by Matt P
extra paragraph
  • Like 2

Just an update from me- I did what was suggested at the start of this post and emailed the two given addresses.  A chap responded, asked for photos and serial number and within a week I have had a brand new stand!  It has just literally arrived (and with a much better mechanism than the sticky one). Result!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

Just an update from me- I did what was suggested at the start of this post and emailed the two given addresses.  A chap responded, asked for photos and serial number and within a week I have had a brand new stand!  It has just literally arrived (and with a much better mechanism than the sticky one). Result!

Where was the serial number on your stand, I have 2 here, one broken one fine and I've searched both of them and there is no sign of a serial number. 

Matt