Why become a member? ×

Shoutout to Hercules Stands

Iacopo San

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

If you still have it it would be worth contacting them again. I’ve found the, to be pretty good. 

As I've said, I've already contacted them, and gone through the rigmarole of sending photo's, serial number etc. The outcome was basically "tough, it's out of warranty".

I really can't be bothered any more. I've bodged it with a bolt now and, as far as I'm concerned, that's the end of it.

While I'm glad for anybody who's had replacements and is now happy, me being in exactly the same situation and getting the brush-off does nothing to make me feel any better about the brand. The whole experience simply means that my money will be spent elsewhere in future.

16 minutes ago, jacko said:

I've had that. lift the bass and the extension comes out of the handle instead of the head releasing. Gaffa is my friend here.

The other common fault (on 3 of my stands) is the rivets in the head breaking. Luckily I'm an amateur mechanic so I have drawers full of nuts and bolts that can be used to replace the broken rivets.  

Haven't had sticky rubber syndrome on my stands but our guitarist provides the PA stands - they're Hercules and guess what?

These faults shouldn't happen and it's  a real shame they do as their stands are arguably the best around.

So the clamp/handle goes sticky, then falls apart. And the rivets in the head break.

If that's the best around, I'd hate to see the worst :)

On 19/05/2020 at 08:01, barkin said:

To expand on that (it was getting late...)

I had a stand develop the well known "sticky handle" syndrome. Contacted them - not interested.  It didn't really bother me at the time, as that particular stand hardly ever gets moved/touched/adjusted.

A couple of weeks ago, I had cause to move it. Picked it up, and the handle/clamp mechanism fell apart.

I have a couple of other Hercules stands which are fine, but I shan't be buying any more.

Many of us had the problem with "the well known "sticky handle" syndrome" . I think that I was one of the first to report the issue to them and on this forum.

Thankfully mine was resolved happily with a new stand (which I put in the raffle at the first Herts Bash) and I know many others whose own issues with this were resolved amicably. I'm glad to hear that the OP's issue was too. In general I think that Hercules have been very approachable on this and the CS, from my point at least, has been excellent.

I think that maybe you had a conversation with somebody who was having a sh1tty day.

1 hour ago, barkin said:

If that's the best around, I'd hate to see the worst :)

I meant in terms of being a stand. Obviously their quality control knocks them back a bit but when they're in good condition they function beautifully as stands. Very stable and the head clamp arrangement is an ergonomic miracle. 

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

I must be the only person who refuses to use stands and keeps the bass in its case when not in use. 😄

If your basses are hanging up or on stands you are far more likely to pick them up and play them. This is a fact!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ubit said:

If your basses are hanging up or on stands you are far more likely to pick them up and play them. This is a fact!

plus at some of the gigs (remember them?) I've done there is not the space to put the bass back in a case.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have a room dedicated to all my instruments and equipment. So if I'm not in that room, I won't be picking up an instrument. 

4 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

I have a room dedicated to all my instruments and equipment. So if I'm not in that room, I won't be picking up an instrument. 

I have instruments in just about every room in the house (apart from the bog - there's a magazine rack in there :) ).  Also, I'm married and Mrs J would rather see a nicely sculpted lump of wood than a tatty guitar case in her living room.

1 minute ago, jacko said:

I have instruments in just about every room in the house (apart from the bog - there's a magazine rack in there :) ).  Also, I'm married and Mrs J would rather see a nicely sculpted lump of wood than a tatty guitar case in her living room.

Good for you. I have a room for my instruments. My wife and I prefer not to have expensive instruments around the house which look completely out of place. Also dogs etc. 

1 minute ago, ClassicVibes said:

Good for you. I have a room for my instruments. My wife and I prefer not to have expensive instruments around the house which look completely out of place. Also dogs etc. 

I hope my post didn't come across as a criticism, it certainly wasn't intended as such. 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

As do I. I will walk into that room, take a bass or guitar down from it's hanger and I'm playing. If I had to take it out of a case each time I wouldn't be so inclined to do this.

how have people been contacting Hercules? I have just found that one of my stands has broken at the handle pivot, i have had it a fair while and it did have the sticky finish problem but i just cleaned it with IPA and it has been fine since.

I don't really have anything to lose in trying for a replacement, shy bairns get nowt.

Matt

1 minute ago, Matt P said:

how have people been contacting Hercules? I have just found that one of my stands has broken at the handle pivot, i have had it a fair while and it did have the sticky finish problem but i just cleaned it with IPA and it has been fine since.

I don't really have anything to lose in trying for a replacement, shy bairns get nowt.

Matt

I think I went through their website

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I think I went through their website

thanks, that was going to be my default option, just thought i would check in case someone had a more direct line to someone helpful in the UK.

Matt

5 minutes ago, Matt P said:

thanks, that was going to be my default option, just thought i would check in case someone had a more direct line to someone helpful in the UK.

Matt

I think the link goes to their UK distributor. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

On 20/05/2020 at 12:23, ClassicVibes said:

I must be the only person who refuses to use stands and keeps the bass in its case when not in use. 😄

Or perhaps you're the only (unfortunate) person not to have more basses than cases! :D

On-topic, I had a sticky stand a few years ago, and they replaced it without fuss. I wonder if they were a bit overwhelmed with sticky stands at that point, and changed their warranty policy as a result.

Was able to bodge my old one by wrapping the sticky bits in gaffer tape but the plastic underneath has crumbled to bits. It's OK in the house but I wouldn't gig with it.