Why become a member? ×

Shoutout to Hercules Stands

Iacopo San

Hi all, not sure if this is allowed, but I just wanted to send a shout out to Hercules Stands.

In October 2017 I bought one of their wall guitar hanger on Amazon, the ones with the wooden block. A few weeks ago I realised that a metal part snapped, so that the whole hanger was all wobbly and unstable. I emailed their customer service, they asked for a photo and my details, and in just 3 days I got a brand new hanger. Great great customer service, I know which brand I will choose when I need a stand or hanger in the future 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, barkin said:

Hmm...

To expand on that (it was getting late...)

I had a stand develop the well known "sticky handle" syndrome. Contacted them - not interested.  It didn't really bother me at the time, as that particular stand hardly ever gets moved/touched/adjusted.

A couple of weeks ago, I had cause to move it. Picked it up, and the handle/clamp mechanism fell apart.

I have a couple of other Hercules stands which are fine, but I shan't be buying any more.

5 minutes ago, barkin said:

I had a stand develop the well known "sticky handle" syndrome. Contacted them - not interested.  It didn't really bother me at the time, as that particular stand hardly ever gets moved/touched/adjusted.

A couple of weeks ago, I had cause to move it. Picked it up, and the handle/clamp mechanism fell apart.

I have a couple of other Hercules stands which are fine, but I shan't be buying any more.

Ah, that's not good.

Maybe try again, suggesting you read their products have a life warranty? It took a while for them to reply, a couple of weeks, and it was I believe their American main support, bur once they replied they were super quick.

I looked into that last time around - I think the lifetime warranty only applies to products bought in the USA. 

But I really can't be bothered any more. I've bodged the clamp with a bolt now, meaning it can't be (easily) collapsed, and my money in future will be spent elsewhere.

20 minutes ago, barkin said:

My floor stand was badly sticky,  I just binned it after reports that Hercules wouldn't help. Having said that I have one of their sax stands and its jolly good.  

10 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

My floor stand was badly sticky,  I just binned it after reports that Hercules wouldn't help.

Mine was also a sticky one.  I cleaned it with meths. No problems since!

2 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Do you attach these to drywalls? I'd love to use them but that's always been my worry

Yup, I use the metal plasterboard fixings. They are really secure mate. Mine have been hanging for years!

4 out of 5 of my Hercules stands developed the sticky handle symptoms and were all promptly replaced.

Unfortunately cleaning with meths or similar is only a short-term fix as the stickiness is caused by the plastic used in this batch breaking down, so while you are curing the symptoms it's doing nothing for the underlying cause and eventually the plastic of the handle will disintegrate.

I would have no problems buying more Hercules stands. The bad plastic appears to have been limited to a particular production run and has been noted and fixed. Besides what are the alternatives for guitars and basses with asymmetrical bodies. Over the past 40 years I've owned numerous makes of guitar stands, but the Hercules has been by far the most convenient.

If you are persistent then they will replace your item, I had a sticky stand a few months ago, they sent the lower half and I used my existing top half ... dodgy batch aside they are excellent stands

I own quite a few assorted hercules products. I contacted them after one of my floor stands developed the sticky handle problem and disintegrated, but I didn't even get a reply back from them. I've bought a few stands from other manufacturers since including millenium stands from Thomann which are cheaper and better made.

15 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I own quite a few assorted hercules products. I contacted them after one of my floor stands developed the sticky handle problem and disintegrated, but I didn't even get a reply back from them. I've bought a few stands from other manufacturers since including millenium stands from Thomann which are cheaper and better made.

That’s odd, they have replaced two of mine because of this, about a year apart. I just needed to send the product code on a small sticker underneath. Both bought at the same time but one developed the problem later for some reason. A dodgy batch by all accounts.

11 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Having read this thread my long held view that I just can’t fully trust wall hangers enough to use them remains steadfast,

I take it you didn't read my posts then.

On 19/05/2020 at 08:01, barkin said:

I had exactly this on 2 stands. As per the OP says, I mailed them, they asked for the serial number and photos and they replaced both stands (one last year and one in 2017 I think).

If you still have it it would be worth contacting them again. I’ve found the, to be pretty good. 

On 19/05/2020 at 08:01, barkin said:

I've had that. lift the bass and the extension comes out of the handle instead of the head releasing. Gaffa is my friend here.

The other common fault (on 3 of my stands) is the rivets in the head breaking. Luckily I'm an amateur mechanic so I have drawers full of nuts and bolts that can be used to replace the broken rivets.  

Haven't had sticky rubber syndrome on my stands but our guitarist provides the PA stands - they're Hercules and guess what?

These faults shouldn't happen and it's  a real shame they do as their stands are arguably the best around.