Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* The Amazing Seven-Pound (7lb) Jazz!
£240
SE London

discreet

*SOLD* The Amazing Seven-Pound (7lb) Jazz!

Vintage White, Black Pickguard, Maple Neck, Maple Fretboard, 70s F Decal

Yes, it really does weigh only seven pounds, unprecedented for a Jazz Bass (It's actually seven pounds two ounces and three-eighths-of-an-ounce, but that's not quite so snappy). This lightness of being is mainly due to the body wood, which is Paulownia. It still surprises me when I pick it up, it almost floats! Got the neck from eBay, but for the life of me I can't remember what brand it is. It's not Allparts and it's not Mighty Mite, but it's dead straight, the nut is good, the frets are good and it's very playable. Truss rod (headstock) works fine. Bridge is a Gotoh 201B, tuners are Hipshot Ultralights and it is sporting a Kiogon Jazz loom with Alpha pots. All cavities are insulated with copper tape.

I applied a cheeky F-decal as I was making myself a super-light 70s J replica. Neck has some very nice figuring on the back, though the board is unfinished as I wanted to see some quick play wear (see pics). This is mostly in the form of dirt, not actual board wear. For the same reason I didn't clear coat the body, which also shows use and some nice crazing and craquelure effects. There are some very small dings and scuffs, but nothing like I was led to believe would happen with this light wood. It's stronger than you'd think. It could easily be refinished, as could the neck, if you wanted to make it look new.

I like the played-in look myself. I should say none of this 'wear' is intended to be a relic job - I just don't like new-looking basses. Pickups are Entwistle and sound amazing. Neck is ceramic (I think) and Bridge is a more powerful Neo job, thus avoiding 'weak Jazz bridge pup' syndrome. I have tried other so-called 'upmarket' pups, but the Entwistles are as good as (if not better than) anything else. Much underrated, in my view.

This Jazz has been my workhorse and go-to bass for the last couple of years and I'll be sad to see it go. It has been gigged, recorded with and played for many hours daily. But my newly-acquired Ibanez Musician has rendered all other basses unnecessary so it's surplus to requirements. It has to go. Obviously it's not a F*nd*r and the headstock has been Swiss-cheesed due to trying out different tuners (the holes have been filled), plus I can't remember what the neck is, plus I made it for myself so can't really entertain making a profit on it. So it's up for grabs at far less than the cost of materials for a quick sale. £240 and it's yours. Cash on collection only from SE London for the time being, I'm all out of packing materials. I might deliver for a bit of petrol money if you're not too far away.

If you're a Jazz Bass person and you need a very light bass, or even if you don't, this is for you. Get in and get yourself a bargain.

BBodyFront.jpg

BFPlate.jpg

BFretDirt.jpg

BHeadFront.jpg

BGotoh.jpg

BKiOgon.jpg

BNeckJoint1.jpg

BStringPersp.jpg

BCopper.jpg

BHeadBack.jpg

BNeckPup.jpg

BNeckJoint2.jpg