Why become a member? ×

Recording Advice - Hiss

dave_says

Hi, I'm sure that this has been asked a thousand times over. I've recently started to trying to record more seriously, but am struggling with hiss in the audio, and I was hoping for some advice before blowing my rent money on unnecessary purchases!  Current recording set up is as follows Musicman Stingray -> Gallien Krueger MB Fusion 500 -> Direct Out via XLR to 1/4" jack Behringer U-Phoria 
UMC204HD -> USB -> Macbook Air

I've tried recording with and without the ground lift to no discernible difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I'd suggest the same as above^^ : plug the bass directly into the interface and record without the amp. You'll get a far cleaner, and more useful, signal that way. Any sound treatment, such as Fx, can be best added through the DAW.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope it helps. B|

• Like 1

Yes, I would suggest recording direct (ie bass straight to interface), the amp is doing nothing for you other than EQ, which you may as well do in the DAW and take a connection out of the equation.

Experiment with your laptop plugged into the mains and just on battery. I've been in some situations where plugged in is better, and just on battery is better....who knows.

Also try using as short a jack cable as possible between your bass and the interface.

Si