Why become a member? ×

Bass players you didn't know were bass players

Cestrian

In 1988 Ruud Gullit played Bass in a band called Revelation Time. They had a hit with an Anti-Apartheid song called 'South Africa', surprisingly the song got to No. 3 in Holland.

C-LDTqHXYAEoBGR.jpg

Edited by pst62
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

He's a member of prog band Frost*, along with various other time-served UK prog scene luminaries. On the whole I prefer his playing to his brother's these days.

According to Wikipedia he’s also played bass and guitar with the Blockheads. Thanks for the tip off about Frost*. I’m always on the lookout for new prog/fusion type bands to listen to.

Edited by yonni

On 21/05/2020 at 15:35, inthedoghouse said:

Seeing as you borught up my personal guitar hero, here he is jamming with Johnny Winter at The Scene club in 1968

jimi1.jpg

jimi2.jpg

He’s using a PICK. Loser... he’ll never amount to anything...40 years on no one will even remember his name 

• Haha 1

On 19/05/2020 at 14:56, TrevorR said:

Presume everyone knows that Aimee Mann is pretty tasty on the bass as well as being a top singer and guitar player. When we saw her live she and the "other bass player" in the band swapped between bass and guitar all evening.

No one's mentioned Canoe Reeves but I guess that's well known.

Less well known is maybe Ryan Gosling...

The Gosling gallery

His band is actually really good, not to everyone's taste but if you are after something a bit lofi, melancholy and strange then it certainly fits the bill

9 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Did someone already say Martin Clunes? If not...Martin Clunes is a bass player.

11A9643F-88B6-4808-85DD-D92966DB6AB1.jpeg

Didn’t know that.

However he did play a bass player in a comedy TV show. He was bassist and leader of a band and tricked the rest of the band into thinking that they had had a hit when he had actually rigged the sales figures. He wrote the song and only years later revealed to the singer that the lyrics were about having a Joderal Bank!

3 hours ago, Manwithvan said:

Curtly Ambrose, former West Indies and Northants fast bowler. I've seen a picture of him playing a Steinberger Spirit headless - the extremities of scale!

I can picture him in the guitar shop....... 'please give me the bass which looks most like a cricket bat'!

• Haha 1

On 18/05/2020 at 18:00, Belka said:

Demis Roussos - not a lot of people know he played bass. Or that he was in a progressive rock band (Aprodite's Child) before becoming a '70s suburban housewife staple.

download.jpg

download (1).jpg

Discovered the album 666 whilst in lockdown. It’s great, but does contain one of the maddest tracks ever recorded in Infinity (unfortunately there isn’t an infinity sign on my keyboard).