Why become a member? ×

Bass players you didn't know were bass players

Cestrian

Possibly my favourite female vocalist of all time Julianne Regan of All About Eve started as bassist with Gene Loves Jezebel (who I always think are the goth band from up the road in Cannock but they aren't ...)

• Like 2

On 19/05/2020 at 22:07, Bassfinger said:

Ian Anderson.  Following John Glascock falling ill (and sadly dying a little while later) with heart problems,  Anderson took over bass duties for the recording of the Stormwatch album.  Mind you, there's not much with either strings or a blow hole that he can't play. And he didn't just go through the motions - some of the bass work is hard driving verging on funky.

I love Ian's bass playing on that album. Very Glascock-esque. (Or maybe John's parts were heavily directed by Mr. A, but I don't think so.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I heard that Robbie WIlliams wrote Rudebox while playing bass... 

Im not wearing that. I can't believe that he has any talent other than being able to hold a tune.

11 minutes ago, ubit said:

Im not wearing that. I can't believe that he has any talent other than being able to hold a tune.

I thought that he was pretty good at voicing the part of Dougal in the The Magic Roundabout film. 

51 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I thought that he was pretty good at voicing the part of Dougal in the The Magic Roundabout film. 

NO ONE can compete with the original Dougal!

• Like 2

On 19/05/2020 at 00:14, casapete said:

Jimi Hendrix - played bass on some of Electric Ladyland album, including ‘All along the watchtower’.

Seeing as you borught up my personal guitar hero, here he is jamming with Johnny Winter at The Scene club in 1968

jimi1.jpg

jimi2.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, casapete said:

He plays guitar a bit (in a fashion anyway...) - seen here with his dad! 

I am thwarted. Pesky kids. Still think he's an annoying twatt right enough.

• 3 months later...
On 22/05/2020 at 18:47, CameronJ said:

Nathan King - Mark King’s brother. Was surprised to see him demoing basses for Andertons and doing a pretty sterling job of it too!

He’s primarily a bassist but plays guitar for Level 42 because, you know, they got a guy who can play a bit already 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yonni said:

He’s primarily a bassist but plays guitar for Level 42 because, you know, they got a guy who can play a bit already 

He's a member of prog band Frost*, along with various other time-served UK prog scene luminaries. On the whole I prefer his playing to his brother's these days.

• Like 2

On 19/05/2020 at 00:14, casapete said:

Jimi Hendrix - played bass on some of Electric Ladyland album, including ‘All along the watchtower’.

He plays bass on the title track(have you ever been to) electric ladyland. If I remember rightly they talk about on classic albums. It’s superb