Why become a member? ×

Bass players you didn't know were bass players

Cestrian

On 18/05/2020 at 15:18, Cestrian said:

I'll kick it off.  I always assumed Julian Cope was purely a vocalist and was aware that James Eller played bass through most of the solo work.  I saw an old Teardrop Explodes video recently and there was Copey playing the bass.  Further research revealed he was the bass player in The Crucial Three.  Anyone else surprised to discover someone started out as a bassist?

https://www.flyguitars.com/interviews/JulianCope.php

Cope_3b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ian Anderson.  Following John Glascock falling ill (and sadly dying a little while later) with heart problems,  Anderson took over bass duties for the recording of the Stormwatch album.  Mind you, there's not much with either strings or a blow hole that he can't play. And he didn't just go through the motions - some of the bass work is hard driving verging on funky.

Edited by Bassfinger

59 minutes ago, casapete said:

I think Kevin McCloud from Channel 4’s Grand Designs was / is a bassist.

Yes when he’s not having housing estate projects fall apart. I recall one episode where he was sitting on a porch with an acoustic bass 

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I think Kevin McCloud from Channel 4’s Grand Designs was / is a bassist.

And a genuinely nice bloke to boot. I had the pleasure of is company for a short while a few years ago as part of a project I was involved in with 20 kids with a range of disabilities. He promised to come back and find us after the event and was true to his word and took time to talk to each and every one of them. Quite a day that was, Stirling Moss, another true gentleman also took a lot of time to talk to the kids.

• Like 2