Why become a member? ×

Bass players you didn't know were bass players

Cestrian

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Gary Sinise, the actor chap whose mostly on CSI but has played lots of other sleezy not playing parts (well, and apollo 13, he wasn't so sleazy in that). I knew about other actors, didn't know about him

Also very active in fundraising for military veterans - started his own organisation for them - by all accounts a very nice chap.

But then, he would be, wouldn’t he?
Bass player, innit?

• Like 5

15 hours ago, KevL said:

@Bobthedog

Your work colleagues' comments is typical of those in today's world who think that something's only worth doing if it is associated with some halfwit celebrity and can be posted all over Instagram etc to show what an exciting, hip lifestyle they lead.

What's happened to pursuing an activity just for one's enjoyment and satisfaction? (I'm assuming that you do get some enjoyment and satisfaction from playing bass).

Nah - that’s just reflective of your average older punter. Play a pub gig and see how many folk think a bass is a guitar. 

The younger Instagram influencer crew wouldn’t know who Macca, Sting etc is in the first place.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marc S said:

Seasick Steve originally played bass, in a band called "Shanti"

And when he was Keith Lemon in Crystal Grass..  his background is hilarious. 
The only music act on the planet that pretends to be older than he is 

Presume everyone knows that Aimee Mann is pretty tasty on the bass as well as being a top singer and guitar player. When we saw her live she and the "other bass player" in the band swapped between bass and guitar all evening.

No one's mentioned Canoe Reeves but I guess that's well known.

Less well known is maybe Ryan Gosling...

The Gosling gallery

Geeky actor Michael Cera...

Michael Cera plays House of Blues — really - Las Vegas Weekly

And didn't film critic Mark Kermode play bass for Danny Baker's short lived late night chat show?

11 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Presume everyone knows that Aimee Mann is pretty tasty on the bass as well as being a top singer and guitar player. When we saw her live she and the "other bass player" in the band swapped between bass and guitar all evening.

No one's mentioned Canoe Reeves but I guess that's well known.

Less well known is maybe Ryan Gosling...

The Gosling gallery

Geeky actor Michael Cera...

Michael Cera plays House of Blues — really - Las Vegas Weekly

And didn't film critic Mark Kermode play bass for Danny Baker's short lived late night chat show?

I mentioned Keanu Reeves! 

10 lashes for you sir...

• Sad 1

Gary Oldman is a fair player and he taught daniel Radcliff the bassline to come together on the set of one of the harry potters.  Not sure I remember correctly but I believe he may have given young danny an instrument too