Why become a member? ×

Bass players you didn't know were bass players

Cestrian

I'll kick it off.  I always assumed Julian Cope was purely a vocalist and was aware that James Eller played bass through most of the solo work.  I saw an old Teardrop Explodes video recently and there was Copey playing the bass.  Further research revealed he was the bass player in The Crucial Three.  Anyone else surprised to discover someone started out as a bassist?

Well originally I didn't know that Chas Hodges was a bass player (and a bloody good one too), what wiv 'im always sittin' at the old Joanna and 'avin' that Dave bloke playin' bass an' all.

Finks ain't wot they used to be.

Edited by Happy Jack
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Well originally I didn't know that Chas Hodges was a bass player (and a bloody good one too), what wiv 'im always sittin' at the old Joanna and 'avin' that Dave bloke playin' bass an' all.

Finks ain't wot they used to be.

Yes, it was only when I read his book I realised he played bass - and given the other musicians in the bands he was in he’d have had to have been good, they wouldn’t have suffered incompetence well.

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That I didn't know. I had seen him playing keyboards. Well, on rainbow in the dark, I guess anyone could play that!

" Dio's musical career began in 1957, when several Cortland, New York musicians formed the band, "The Vegas Kings". The group's lineup consisted of Dio on bass guitar, Billy DeWolfe on lead vocals, Nick Pantas on guitar, Tom Rogers on drums, and Jack Musci on saxophone."

From his Wikipedia page. I knew that, because he would occasionally mention being a bass player in interviews, usually while talking about the rhythm and delivery of his singing lines.

Sorely missed. RIP.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

" Dio's musical career began in 1957, when several Cortland, New York musicians formed the band, "The Vegas Kings". The group's lineup consisted of Dio on bass guitar, Billy DeWolfe on lead vocals, Nick Pantas on guitar, Tom Rogers on drums, and Jack Musci on saxophone."

From his Wikipedia page. I knew that, because he would occasionally mention being a bass player in interviews, usually while talking about the rhythm and delivery of his singing lines.

Sorely missed. RIP.

He also severed his thumb in a freak gardening accident with a garden gnome 🤘

• Haha 1

A little change in direction but when I told some work colleagues I played bass, one of the comments was “why,  no-one well known plays bass”. None of them were aware that Paul McCartney, Sting, Lemmy and Suzy Quattro  played bass and they had never heard of Jack Bruce. 

Edited by Bobthedog
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Metallica's James Hetfield played bass & sang in a band called Syrinx. Yes - it was Rush covers.

Opeth guitarist/vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt originally joined the band as a bass player.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Bruce Springsteen was gigging as bassist in a heavy rock band immediately before he was signed by Columbia.

@Bobthedog

Your work colleagues' comments is typical of those in today's world who think that something's only worth doing if it is associated with some halfwit celebrity and can be posted all over Instagram etc to show what an exciting, hip lifestyle they lead.

What's happened to pursuing an activity just for one's enjoyment and satisfaction? (I'm assuming that you do get some enjoyment and satisfaction from playing bass).

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Opeth guitarist/vocalist Mikael Akerfeldt originally joined the band as a bass player.

He recorded the bass for My Arms, Your Hearse too as new recruit Martin Mendez hadn't time to learn the parts before they were scheduled to record the album.