Why become a member? ×

Blackstar BEAM recording bass

uk_lefty

So I don't know if this has been covered at all or if its considered too obvious. I don't want to bother reviewing the amp because for bass it's pretty straightforward. There are three quite limited effects you can add, two amp types that aren't wildly different, but bass reproduction is good and using the Insider software makes tweaking the effects and saving presets nice and easy. 

I've got "better" kit but just knocking about with some mates we decided to record a song. The software can give you a click track to play along to but what I found really smart was that I was able to use Songsterr through a Web browser and have the backing track play through the BEAM while I chugged along on bass and my Audacity program recorded the bass line I was playing only. Pretty smart I think, does exactly what you want it to. I could do all that without reading any instructions whatsoever. I recorded a p bass with the amp sim, then a fretless using some light chorus and delay, then a Stingray with amp sim only. 

Overall I'm impressed. For electric guitar it will be even better. What I need to try next is using my own effects before the amp to see how it handles external effects. I have a Boss GT10B which I always expected to be using for my recording as amp sim and effects but the ability to hear everything at once through the BEAM is really neat. 

For £150 it's pricey as a small amp unless you want to use it for guitar, acoustic and recording, as well as a handy Bluetooth speaker. 

It will never be the best recording device, bass amp, guitar amp, etc. on its own but as an all in one package I'm really pleased. 

• Like 1