Why become a member? ×

BUTCHERED TRUSS ROD

Hi folks,

Wondered if I could have a word to the wise regarding my 1989-90 vintage Encore P style bass.

Recently changed the strings to lower tension flatwound. As the neck naturally flexed for its new hosts, it flattened out. Needs a tweak on the truss rod to eliminate buzz.

I slackened the strings, removed pickguard, then the neck, (duh)  grabbed the Allen keys...not ONE of them fitted. On closer inspection I was horrified to learn that the socket of the truss has been totally rounded by it's previous owner possibly using an ill-fitting tool, and is now impossible to adjust.

Please advise me on the best course of action.

Cheers guys.

Edited by Col the Plunker
Improve

I have been able to remove a truss rod nut and replace it with a new one by using a left hand threading tool (only a couple of euros/pounds).

However: if the truss rod nut is worn out, it probably means someone put it under a lot of pressure, so something else might be wrong with it.

There's also https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-truss-rods/stewmac-truss-rod-rescue-tool-sets.html but those are expensive. If you bring it to a luthier who already owns one of those, however, it might be an easy fix. 

Best course is probably asking around for a luthier who is experienced in this sort of thing.

20200518_163934.jpg

Edited by lksmks792
Picture added
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Cribbin said:

I have seen where people have knocked a torx bit into the screwed up hole and then screwed the offending nut out. Not tried it myself, but it's apparently worked for some.

Standard procedure for a rounded out hex head in general mechanics. 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

I did wonder whether it had stripped because of seizure, or been bodged with an undersize or inappropriate drive tool. I shall give the torx a try at first, but will add pressure on the neck bowing it slightly concave to relieve some strain on the rod a bit. Failing that will mean buying the silver line Easi-outs. My money is on the bad tool being used previously, because when I saw the guy I bought it from a day or two later, I asked him what had he done to the fretboard to make it feel sticky. He told me he periodically treated it with Teak oil. " Not lemon oil?" I asked."

Nah, you're supposed to use Teak oil!"

So you see why I suspect this guy used the wrong tooling and butchering it. He didn't appear to be the sharpest knife in the drawer...if you know what I mean.

Typo

A couple of years ago I picked up an Ibanez where the nut was slightly rounded, but would not move.

Not wanting to risk rounding the nut further, I gave it the smallest squirt of PlusGas, best penetrating oil I've come across. Next morning, one easily adjustable truss rod.

Give yourself every edge for a good result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was worried I had the same issue yesterday with my MiM P neck,  Turns out my allen key wasn't quite long enough so I borrowed one from a bass playing friend across the road (wiped down and handed over with social responsibility).  His fitted perfectly, so phewwwwww!!!!!

While I was in panic mode I looked up what might be done and came across this interesting video.

Good luck with yours!

Edited by inthedoghouse

34 minutes ago, Col the Plunker said:

Thanks for that. Glad yours was a mere scare. Watched the vid. Mine's a bit different as the truss rod nut is at the opposite end, and means unscrewing the pickguard. Method of removal should be the same though.

Good luck and let us know how you go on.  I certainly had that sinking feeling when I thought my allen key wasn't gripping, but the relief (no pun intended) when I borrowed my friend's key.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, inthedoghouse said:

I was worried I had the same issue yesterday with my MiM P neck,  Turns out my allen key wasn't quite long enough so I borrowed one from a bass playing friend across the road (wiped down and handed over with social responsibility).  His fitted perfectly, so phewwwwww!!!!!

While I was in panic mode I looked up what might be done and came across this interesting video.

Good luck with yours!

Brilliant video. I was waiting for the “ping” when he was trying to turn the screw extractor and the rod snapped, but it fortunately didn’t happen.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2020 at 10:34, inthedoghouse said:

Great video - I had no need to know all that but had to watch as the suspense vs calm and methodical approach was better than TV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wondered that too. It had a solid looking square to it. You're dead right about the extractor tools being brittle. I remember snapping one on a rounded rocker cover hex plate on my motorcycle crankcase. I still haven't tried to loosen the truss yet, but reckon the tapered torx is the best bet. Just need to find where to get one.

Cheers Col.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Truss rod sorted.

Thanks guys for all your tales and remedies.

I was working in the garage today with my hand belt-sander when I remembered something else to do with it.

I tapered the end of an Allen key/wrench down as  squarely as possible. Unscrewed and lifted the neck of my old Encore E 83. Rod turned first time. 3/4 turn did the trick. Brilliant result. Thanks the poster who suggested this method.

IMG_20200622_131311802.jpg

IMG_20200622_131133321.jpg

Typo
  • Like 4