Why become a member? ×

Do you own the most expensive bass on Basschat

steve-soar

[quote name='xgsjx' post='438495' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:37 PM']Never understood why the homosexuals stole or adopted the word "gay", or was it just some PC F@*kwit trying to be PC?
They can be bright and cheerful if they want :) Just don't prod my poo :rolleyes:[/quote]

But you are fine with the sucking?

[quote name='xgsjx' post='438495' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:37 PM']Never understood why the homosexuals stole or adopted the word "gay", or was it just some PC F@*kwit trying to be PC?
They can be bright and cheerful if they want :) Just don't prod my poo :rolleyes:[/quote]

oh dear, not touching this topic with a ten foot penis

Is there anyone here who's actually paid an obscene amount (or anything above its useful value at all...) for an instrument just because of its age/rarity? And I mean OLD age - I think the price of a new bass is obscene compared to the used market, but that hasn't stopped me buying several myself. Does anyone know anyone who's bought one of those crazily-priced 60s Fenders on eBay?

You'd think there'd be some of those collectors among us, though, wouldn't you? I think most of us would like to own a piece of history like that, even if we can't afford it or just aren't willing to spend so much on something so impractical. I suppose anyone who can afford to splash out £50,000 on a bass they'll never play is too busy to come on Basschat! :)

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='438513' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:54 PM']I suppose anyone who can afford to splash out £50,000 on a bass they'll never play is too busy to come on Basschat! :)[/quote]

I used to think that, but over on the Travis Bean forums, Vincent Gallo would take a break from his hectic expensive-guitar buying, world tours and other things he'd boast about, just to insult the likes of little old me (not me personally, but people like me). It was quite touching.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='438504' date='Mar 18 2009, 05:45 PM']Is there anyone here who's actually paid an obscene amount (or anything above its useful value at all...) for an instrument just because of its age/rarity? And I mean OLD age - I think the price of a new bass is obscene compared to the used market, but that hasn't stopped me buying several myself. Does anyone know anyone who's bought one of those crazily-priced 60s Fenders on eBay?[/quote]

Yes my 65 Jazz was an obscene amount of money and is now worth about 2/3 or what I paid for it. The only consolation is that it is the nicest sounding bass I have ever played and if I had left the money in shares I would be down by more.

Steve

[quote name='4000' post='428170' date='Mar 7 2009, 07:15 PM']Do you (yes, you personally) buy the cheapest, most functional clothes you can? The cheapest functioning car? The cheapest functioning tv? The cheapest pc that actually works? Because your argument says you should and that anyone who does anything else is nuts.[/quote]

To some extent yes I suppose I do. I drive a little Daihatsu because it's cheap to run, convenient and utterly reliable, I buy cheap clothes if I see cheap clothes I like, I have actually never bought a TV, now that you mention it...

Would you (yes, you personally) spend 10x more on a bass if it had an especially nice veneer on the front and it sounded and played just as good as your other basses? Would it be worth 100x as much? 1000x? At what point do you label the buyer a cretin? I draw the line a bit earlier than you it seems.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='428218' date='Mar 7 2009, 08:48 PM']... Also what makes you think that everyone who works in theatre is gay? I know several people who do drama and are far from homosexual. I'm not gay myself by the way i am just sick to death of hearing every stupid chav in my school who calls me gay because they seem to think it's the worst thing you could ever call someone.[/quote]

I didn't think anyone was still using "gay" in that context, I haven't heard it in ages, that's why I thought it might be funny to use it. Actually I still think it was funny, and you're a bit humourless.

And I don't "think that everyone who works in theatre is gay" and nor did I say that.

[quote name='Rich' post='438219' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:09 PM']I am firmly with Edward here. [b][u]The word 'gay' is not a term of abuse and should not be used as such[/u][/b].
If anyone wants to call something crap, say it's crap. If you want to call someone an idiot, call them an idiot.[/quote]

Fair enough if calling a bass "gay" is unacceptable (I can appreciate that there are some sensitive gays out there somewhere), but calling someone an idiot is OK?

I've seen "chav" used quite a lot around here too. That's pretty offensive.

[quote name='Rich' post='438884' date='Mar 19 2009, 07:37 AM']You think using 'gay' as an insult is funny, but you're all sensitive about calling someone an idiot (rather than using 'gay' as an insult again) and you think 'chav' is offensive? Oh please.[/quote]

Explaining humour is always tiresome but for your benefit: Calling an object "gay" is clearly perverse, nonsensical, it's funny for that reason. I don't call people "gay" unless they are gay. I don't use "gay" as an insult, you just didn't understand the context I used it in.

And yes I think "Chav" is a derogatory term that is used way too liberally. I don't think it's OK to declare a whole class of people to be dossers and criminals. It's considerably more damaging than calling a lump of wood "gay".

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='438863' date='Mar 19 2009, 04:01 AM']Fair enough if calling a bass "gay" is unacceptable (I can appreciate that there are some sensitive gays out there somewhere), but calling someone an idiot is OK?

I've seen "chav" used quite a lot around here too. That's pretty offensive.[/quote]

I already told you i'm not gay but i'm sick of hearing stupid kids in school calling me gay as an insult. Yes calling someone an idiot is not so bad because there isn't anything wrong with being gay but someone who is an idiot is not a singularly definable group and it's usually something that the person being insulted has brought on themselves, such as implying that people who work in theatre are more likely to be homosexual or saying that a bass has a sexuality and that there is something wrong with that bass's sexual preferences.

Also the term "chav" means different things to different people. Just because you live on a council estate or have 12 kids by the time you're 25 doesn't automatically make you a chav. As far as i'm concerned chavs are people who go round leaching off government benefits knowing that they could easily get a job, blowing all that money on pot, kidnapping their own daughter and fooling the whole nation into giving them gifts and money, going round reckoning they're some gangsta and stabbing people etc... as far as i see they could be reasonable people, they don't have to be rich, they just have to be decent hardworking people who do what they can for other people as well as themselves without being criminals. But they're not, they're just lazy and selfish and don't care about what they do or how it makes other people feel as long as they're happy. That's what makes them chavs.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='438939' date='Mar 19 2009, 09:23 AM']I just realised my dictionary is not great. Just underneath "gay" is says GB is Great Britain when we all know it is Goodfellow Basses :)[/quote]

...and then there are all those Genz Benz owners who use the GB acronym... They are all wrong. It's Goodfellow Basses as we all should know.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='439038' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:14 AM']Also the term "chav" means different things to different people. Just because you live on a council estate or have 12 kids by the time you're 25 doesn't automatically make you a chav. As far as i'm concerned chavs are people who go round leaching off government benefits knowing that they could easily get a job, blowing all that money on pot, kidnapping their own daughter and fooling the whole nation into giving them gifts and money, going round reckoning they're some gangsta and stabbing people etc... as far as i see they could be reasonable people, they don't have to be rich, they just have to be decent hardworking people who do what they can for other people as well as themselves without being criminals. But they're not, they're just lazy and selfish and don't care about what they do or how it makes other people feel as long as they're happy. That's what makes them chavs.[/quote]
Fred Goodwin - superchav.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='439038' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:14 AM']I already told you i'm not gay but i'm sick of hearing stupid kids in school calling me gay as an insult. Yes calling someone an idiot is not so bad because there isn't anything wrong with being gay but someone who is an idiot is not a singularly definable group and it's usually something that the person being insulted has brought on themselves, such as implying that people who work in theatre are more likely to be homosexual or saying that a bass has a sexuality and that there is something wrong with that bass's sexual preferences.[/quote]

That was a really long-winded insult. Try harder. Perhaps you could try using more effective language (and have some dumb scrote pull you up on it despite barely comprehending what you'd actually said).

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='439038' date='Mar 19 2009, 11:14 AM']As far as i'm concerned chavs are people who go round leaching off government benefits knowing that they could easily get a job, blowing all that money on pot, kidnapping their own daughter and fooling the whole nation into giving them gifts and money, going round reckoning they're some gangsta and stabbing people etc... as far as i see they could be reasonable people, they don't have to be rich, they just have to be decent hardworking people who do what they can for other people as well as themselves without being criminals. But they're not, they're just lazy and selfish and don't care about what they do or how it makes other people feel as long as they're happy. That's what makes them chavs.[/quote]

So only a fraction of the people who get called "chavs" are actually chavs by your definition? But you think it has extremely negative connotations. So it's not acceptable to bandy the word around and label random working class people as "chavs" when you've actually no idea who they are but they're wearing the wrong trainers?

Thanks for reinforcing my point.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='428361' date='Mar 8 2009, 02:03 AM']I just love the way these threads run - in answer to the OP, then who knows? In terms of collections its probably Cetera as many of my fifty or so basses are cheapos such as some of my Arias and Washburns etc - these were purchased purely down to a nostalgia for all those basses that I wanted back in the 80s...[/quote]

Blimey.... me...? Really....? *blush*

Put it down to effective up-trading, not spending my money on booze, fags or football... :)

So, at what point does an expensive bass become too expensive to comfortably take to a gig? Let's say an ordinary gig at the Dog & Duck, rather than a big gig on a proper stage.
Actually, to partially answer my own question, I guess the key word is 'valuable' rather than expensive. A £300 bass bought for you by a loved-one could quite easily be far more personally valuable than a £1000 piece of exotica.

[quote name='Rich' post='439111' date='Mar 19 2009, 12:28 PM']So, at what point does an expensive bass become too expensive to comfortably take to a gig? Let's say an ordinary gig at the Dog & Duck, rather than a big gig on a proper stage.[/quote]

The answer should be "never too expensive to take to a gig", unless it was bought as a recording only instrument or a an 'investment'.

Personally if I own a bass I'm going to play it. If it's the right sounding bass for the job I'll be playing it wherever. Instruments are just as likely to pick up dings and bumps at rehearsals or even in your own house as at a gig. If a venue looked really dodgy then maybe the bass would stay in its case by my side except when I'm on stage playing it. If you have an expensive bass and you don't use it then that is a waste of money. Thinking about it now the replacement value of the basses and amplification I was using at my last gig would have been approaching £10,000, but I simply can't let that sort of thing worry me. Also in a way an exotic custom bass is far less steal-able than a Fender or Warwick simply because they are so unique.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='439170' date='Mar 19 2009, 01:03 PM']The answer should be "never too expensive to take to a gig", unless it was bought as a recording only instrument or a an 'investment'.[/quote]

I'd agree with that. Money shouldn’t be the reason not to want to gig the instrument...