Why become a member? ×

Time to learn

Nothingman

Right, 

I need the excellent hive mid of BC here. 

I first picked up the bass in my early teens, had a few lessons but generally worked out how to make a variety of punk rock sounds on my own. I have never learnt to read music, no nothing of any type of theory and as far as I am concerned, a pentatonic is used to summon Satan. 

A few years back I sold all my gear when I had a wee bit of a dark period. However a couple of years ago I got back on the horse, got some new gear and started a noisy band with 2 of my best mates. But in theory I have been playing for about 25 years on and off. 

During this period my youngest took a shine to drums. So for her 8th birthday we got her an electronic drum kit and she started lessons at school. 2 weeks back we submitted her debut exam to RSL for grading and currently waiting to hear the result.

Anyhoo, since lockdown her drum lessons have gone online, so I have become default technician setting up the sound and video for her lessons during this time. As a result I have had quite a bit of dialogue with her teacher and immensely enjoyed sitting in on the lessons. It has really inspired me. 

She got her first bass yesterday from a BCer and I have been showing her a few things, but I am kind of stuck. Without telling her to pretend to be Lou Barlow, smack on the gain and strum like a guitar, I don't think I can do too much. I really need to learn to teach and do it properly!

So, I was thinking, should I learn theory/read music and understand what actually sits behind this plank of wood and wire? I am one of those annoying sods who just loves to learn new things and quite fancy doing this. Has anybody been through a similar experience where they have learnt how to 'play properly'  after years of winging it?

Also, if I was to go through grading etc, would I need to start from scratch or can you jump in higher up the food chain? Where does one start? 

Love to hear some thoughts. 

Cheers

Edited by Nothingman

It would be a good idea to start at the beginning, just to fill in any holes that maybe there.

It’s really up to you how deep you go. I learned to read music from the start, mainly because I didn’t know any better; not a particularly good way of saying it I know, but I came from a classical music background, I was learning violin and classical guitar at school, and assumed I’d be given a part to sight read.

If your daughter is learning through a teacher, then you’d be able to bounce ideas off each other, and help one another out.

Good luck anyway.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ambient said:

It would be a good idea to start at the beginning, just to fill in any holes that maybe there.

It’s really up to you how deep you go. I learned to read music from the start, mainly because I didn’t know any better; not a particularly good way of saying it I know, but I came from a classical music background, I was learning violin and classical guitar at school, and assumed I’d be given a part to sight read.

If your daughter is learning through a teacher, then you’d be able to bounce ideas off each other, and help one another out.

Good luck anyway.

That's really helpful, thanks!