Why become a member? ×

Recommendation for inexpensive P/J pickups?

Angel

Having made 5 electric guitars, I figured that I'd have a go at a 5 string bass. I want to have a P/J setup but I'm not having much luck finding a set that isn't megabucks. I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations - preferably not too expensive!

I'm thinking passive as I plan to install a J-Retro 01 that I have had for some years.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

A set of Wilkinson’s will set you back £86. Folk seem to have a good opinion of basses fitted with these.

https://www.jhs.co.uk/brands/wilkinson/wilkinson-pickups

A set of Toneriders are sub £70 and, again, these have received some love on BC.

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/bass-guitar-pickups/

Thanks for the suggestions but they are all 4 string!

1 hour ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Have you checked out the EMG PJ5 Set? About £150 but does come with a solderless loom etc, so saves you a little bit in the electronics department.

I was hoping to avoid active pickups as I'm using the J retro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No. 8 Wire said:

Have you checked out the EMG PJ5 Set? About £150 but does come with a solderless loom etc, so saves you a little bit in the electronics department.

Actually, on reflection the EMG route might be the easiest option. I don't need to use the J Retro, it's in another bass at the moment. Thanks for that thought!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Angel said:

Actually, on reflection the EMG route might be the easiest option. I don't need to use the J Retro, it's in another bass at the moment. Thanks for that thought!

This is actually the thought I had.  I have a pj5 bass with a j retro, I don't particularly like the pickups, although the J retro helps.  I wanted to use the j retro elsewhere and was looking at perhaps the emg set as a replacement.  Lack of time and money has shelved that though!

Just as an aside, the is one annoying thing about the j retro for a pj.  In passive mode, you can't solo the P pickup.  You either have both, or solo J.  So I've wired my pickups back to front so the P can be soloed.

8 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

John East preamps work very well with active pickups, I have one paired with 5 string EMG PJ's.

I can get my head around how that would work as the EMG have special pots, so how would you connect to the J Retro?

53 minutes ago, Angel said:

I can get my head around how that would work as the EMG have special pots, so how would you connect to the J Retro?

Angel, I'm in no way an expert, I'm just saying that this constellation is working for me technically.

The bass in question is a Spector Euro5 and I bought it used with the JE preamp already in there and the EMG 40DC's, too. I changed these to  EMG 40J and 40P (basically PJ's in soapbar housing) but since these pickups have the quick connect pins it was a 5 min job. 
BTW the preamp is not a J retro it is a deluxe with mid controls and active passive switch etc. but the point is that it works with EMG pickups.

22 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

Angel, I'm in no way an expert, I'm just saying that this constellation is working for me technically.

The bass in question is a Spector Euro5 and I bought it used with the JE preamp already in there and the EMG 40DC's, too. I changed these to  EMG 40J and 40P (basically PJ's in soapbar housing) but since these pickups have the quick connect pins it was a 5 min job. 
BTW the preamp is not a J retro it is a deluxe with mid controls and active passive switch etc. but the point is that it works with EMG pickups.

OK, thanks. Something to think about