Why become a member? ×

COC (Conklin Owners Club)

binky_bass

I've not seen a thread for Conklin basses... however it is entirely possible there is one, if so we shall have to engage in 9 rounds of bare knuckle over-arm boxing to determine which stays!

So, my offering I have actually owned for a good number of years now and it will NEVER leave my possession as it is utterly amazing in every possible way! Plus it has a Pink Ivory fretboard which is now an endangered species wood so can no longer be used for luthiery, so I've heard.

This bass was built as a 'show-stopper' by Bill Conklin himself for Ishibashi Music Company in Japan, literally no expensive was spared in its creation. It has dual active magnetic pickups specifically build for Conklin by Bartolini for this bass, as well as RMI Piezo pickups in the custom bridge saddles AND a full MIDI pickup system too. It has a custom Demeter pre-amp, and for those that know Demeter, you know this is a damn good thing! 

In addition to the 'tronics, the overall construction is as good as it gets. Light Ash body wings with a think slab of Buckeye Burl on top, the through neck is Zebrawood and Wenge with a Pink Ivory fretboard and Wenge binding. 

The controls are:

Top Row: Magnetic volume, magnetic blend, Piezo volume, MIDI volume.

Second Row: Bass, Mid, Treble for the Magnetic pickups.

Third Row: Piezo/Piezo and Magnetic/MIDI switch, Up/Down MIDI patch switch.

It has a MIDI input as well a dual Neutrik Jack inputs.

Swiss army knives compare themselves to this bass for versatility. 

I'm curious to see what other Conklins are out there, they build some of the best basses I've seen/played and they very rarely come up for sale. Anyone got a Conklin, particularly a USA one? 

20200516_181100.thumb.jpg.f3290a2448c648d84ee8d2b8ff1c8c13.jpg

20200516_165708.thumb.jpg.19e18469f34b973c2f0060c764f099e9.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

@Acebassmusic, that's a lovely one, I have in fact played that bass... the chap who you traded it to (I forget his name!) nearly traded it to me for a Sei 6 some years back. Great bass and the only other USA Conklin I'm aware of in the UK. There must be more surely! 

It certainly was a good bass and it was Luke Capon I traded with. I think he got rid of it so I've no idea where it is now 😞

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...