Why become a member? ×

That New York sound.?

bubinga5

New York always makes me think of these bands / artists -

Lou Reed, Velvet Underground, Television, New York Dolls, Blondie, The Ramones, all the Brill Building stuff (Carole King, Neil Sedaka etc), Neil Diamond, Billy Joel, Nile Rogers and a lot of the Phil Spector stuff (Ronettes, The Crystals etc). Not sure if they were all NYC born and bred but certainly earned their reputation there.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sandypjb said:

He is and they are unfortunately. Some classy music consigned to the bin by sniffy music journalists and Spotify listers. 😒

Always thought of the Crusaders as 'New-York' sounding.

There was a BBC documentary about 'Yacht Rock' a few months ago, and of course, chock full of great music. Unfortunately, it's not on iPlayer at present. Which is a shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lowdown said:

There was a BBC documentary about 'Yacht Rock' a few months ago, and of course, chock full of great music. Unfortunately, it's not on iPlayer at present. Which is a shame.

it's me and Mrs Skidders secret guilty pleasure..shhh..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, la bam said:

That Christopher cross song always reminds me of the same style (kind of melodic but sad) as the Theme from Cheers. I know that was Boston, but similar feel.

According to Wikipedia, Gary Portnoy and Judy Hart Angelo - the composers of that theme are New Yorkers, so your theory would seem to hold true.

16 hours ago, Sandypjb said:

He is and they are unfortunately. Some classy music consigned to the bin by sniffy music journalists and Spotify listers. 😒

Always thought of the Crusaders as 'New-York' sounding.

Nah, Yacht Rock is GREAT! Long live Yacht Rock! Did you see the BBC4 documentary that Katie Puckrick did on it? Well worth a listen- though ironically it barely gives a mention to the fabulous YouTube comedy skits that cemented the term itself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Traffic mainly, horns honking (usually a taxi), distant sound of a siren, occasional outbursts of yelling.

The New York sound hasn't changed in the 45 years that I've been going there.

You get my post of the day. Long time since I have genuinely laughed out loud from a post on here.