Why become a member? ×

Dire Straits.

bubinga5

1 minute ago, KevL said:

It may be well-known amongst everyone except me (and I know it's far from a new release) but I only found out recently that Mark Knopfler wrote Private Dancer, heard all over the airwaves in the mid 80's courtesy of Tin O'Tuna. He must have made a few quid from writing that.

You can hear bits of the chorus in the middle eight of Love Over Gold.

Incidentally, the band on Tina's version is Dire Straits, but with Jeff Beck instead of MK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, KevL said:

It may be well-known amongst everyone except me (and I know it's far from a new release) but I only found out recently that Mark Knopfler wrote Private Dancer, heard all over the airwaves in the mid 80's courtesy of Tin O'Tuna. He must have made a few quid from writing that.

That is poop too 💩. What was that famous saying by that fantastic Irish philosopher? "just say what you see"😂... or hear in this instance. I'd rather be a pauper......I think🤔

And it was one of my mums faves... who said your mum is always right? Nearly always right I say! 

Edited by P-Belly Evans

Just now, wateroftyne said:

It's probably easier if you just name the 5 for 6 Straits songs you do like, and then give it a rest for a bit 😄

All of Dire Straits. All of Communique. All of Making Movies, All of Love over Gold... minus industrial machine (gets on my wick a bit). That live album is not bad either (can't remember the name). Brothers in Arms - the song -  as it is quite poignant....... and then.... nowt  I'm afraid. Not bad really.  I would even class myself as a fan. Just have my limits as to what I can tolerate I suppose. 

I saw DS at the NEC on the 'Brothers In Arms Tour' - IMHO they were the most sterile live act I have ever seen.  Musically and technically they were stunning but absolutely no soul or feeling whatsoever.

The highlight of the evening was coming out of the NEC and seeing a laser display across the lakes - my lasting memories are a massive laser seagull sweeping towards me and a rotating die (or dice if you prefer) again rolling across the lake and heading my way.

IIRC, and before Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler was part of a band called 'Brewers Droop' - I saw them at the University Of Essex during a Miner's Benefit concert and was mightily impressed.

Chris.

Just now, Chezz55 said:

I saw DS at the NEC on the 'Brothers In Arms Tour' - IMHO they were the most sterile live act I have ever seen.  Musically and technically they were stunning but absolutely no soul or feeling whatsoever.

The highlight of the evening was coming out of the NEC and seeing a laser display across the lakes - my lasting memories are a massive laser seagull sweeping towards me and a rotating die (or dice if you prefer) again rolling across the lake and heading my way.

IIRC, and before Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler was part of a band called 'Brewers Droop' - I saw them at the University Of Essex during a Miner's Benefit concert and was mightily impressed.

Chris.

By that point in their career, I can kind of imagine unfortunately. Sorry but gotta hijack your post.... The thought of Tina Turner being my private dancer gives me the right old brewers droop. I've already got my coat🙄

6 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

Chris.

I'm a huge fan (as you can probably tell) but I walked out of the OES gig at Gateshead Stadium. I was bored to tears.

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm a huge fan (as you can probably tell) but I walked out of the OES gig at Gateshead Stadium. I was bored to tears.

I hate it when your faves let you down. I remember the audience at an Ian Brown gig screaming hate coz he had not come out to play by nearly 23.00. They all went barmy with love when he finally did. I went home in protest...... oh no sorry, to catch the last train. B+) %tard. Still love him though. 

I'd always been a little ashamed to admit that Dire Straits - Dire Straits is one of my all time favourite albums. The songwriting is just superb - intimate, personal or well-observed, and every song is a gem.

"In The Gallery" on first listen is an unusual song, but is one of my favourites. I only discovered recently that it's about Harry Phillips, a personal friend of Knopfler's:

https://www.songfacts.com/facts/dire-straits/in-the-gallery

• Thanks 1

I’ve always liked Dire Straits 

I remember when I first herd sultans of swing - it was like a breath of fresh air and a return to simpler things - a Fender strat straight into a fender valve amp

It came after years of prog rock, stadium rock and punk

I cannot understate the elation of hearing Mark’s pure musicality in this way and it’s no surprise that Hank was one of his heroes 

Here’s a personal favourite of mine 

Edited by gareth

On 17/05/2020 at 17:47, P-Belly Evans said:

All of Dire Straits. All of Communique. All of Making Movies, All of Love over Gold... minus industrial machine (gets on my wick a bit). That live album is not bad either (can't remember the name). Brothers in Arms - the song -  as it is quite poignant....... and then.... nowt  I'm afraid. Not bad really.  I would even class myself as a fan. Just have my limits as to what I can tolerate I suppose. 

Alchemy 

I'd argue that in many ways Communique was even better.  Some really dark blues sounds on that one. Where d'ya think you're going and News are just superb tracks, perhaps the pinnacle of the original Dire Straits sound before they allowed keyboards into the band from Making Movies onwards.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Bassfinger said:

I'd argue that in many ways Communique was even better.  Some really dark blues sounds on that one. Where d'ya think you're going and News are just superb tracks...

And I’d agree with you. Once Upon A Time In The West is such a great opener, such controlled, understated playing. That album also contains my favourite DS track ever, Single Handed Sailor.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I'd argue that in many ways Communique was even better.  Some really dark blues sounds on that one. Where d'ya think you're going and News are just superb tracks, perhaps the pinnacle of the original Dire Straits sound before they allowed keyboards into the band from Making Movies onwards.

Totally agree. Communique and the debut were so refreshing at the time of their release, but as time moved on they lost that thing that made them sound unique

28 minutes ago, leroydiamond said:

Totally agree. Communique and the debut were so refreshing at the time of their release, but as time moved on they lost that thing that made them sound unique

My thoughts too. Making Movies never did it for me. And while there are some epic tracks on Love Over Gold (i.e. side 1) it's the first two albums that stand out from everything that came after.

Now, Neck & Neck with Chet Atkins is one of my MK faves. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2020 at 18:04, P-Belly Evans said:

I hate it when your faves let you down

We saw Pete Murphy once supporting The Mission. I was really looking forward to it but he came on and it was him, a violin player and a guitarist. It was rank and he came across as a total knob. There was an even bigger fan behind me and he was even more cheesed off than me. He was so conceited and looked like he was in a bad mood. I still love his solo stuff though.