Why become a member? ×

Dire Straits.

bubinga5

After all these years I liked Dire Straits and had never listened to this particular album until I heard this record on the radio. Everything I was doing stopped as what happens when I hear a great record.The whole album is just fantastic..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

I had this on cassette, I should probably listen again assuming I can find a cassette player someplace 

You’ll find them on eBay etc, be prepared though, the prices have increased quite a lot over the last couple of years. As with vinyl, cassettes have recently had quite a surge in popularity.

I was working in a record shop when ‘Sultans of swing’ first came out. We used to stock pretty much every single that was released, and I remember reordering this one regularly over quite a long period - only sold a few copies a week so went under the radar a bit. Then one day I thought I’d listen to it to see why it was selling and being quite surprised - this was after all around the height of punk, 1978 and it went quite against most of the type of stuff new bands were releasing. Anyway, it gradually became a hit, and so did the album.  I never really got into DS that much, although have always loved Knopfler’s playing. One of those guitarists you recognise instantly, and a top bloke too.

Edited by casapete

8 hours ago, ambient said:

You’ll find them on eBay etc, be prepared though, the prices have increased quite a lot over the last couple of years. As with vinyl, cassettes have recently had quite a surge in popularity.

Hmm....

Dire Straits is a great album.

I think my favourite track is Six-blade Knife, but all the tracks are good. The recording is superb.

Van Halen's debut album came out in the same year I think. Both somewhat different from each other and the stuff emanating from the  punk bands of the day.

I have always liked Dire Straits even though it's not very "in" to be a fan.

I bought all the albums (still have them but nothing to play them on!) when they came out, and then most of them again  on CD.

Funnily enough I haven't played any of them for ages....thanks for this reminder, I'll have to get my CD player working again!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I have always liked Dire Straits even though it's not very "in" to be a fan.

Likewise. Love over Gold and Brothers in Arms were big albums when I was starting out playing and I’ve always loved them, but kept quiet about it.  

Ive played with a couple of cool musos over the last couple of years who openly love Dire Straits and I’m now not ashamed to admit I like them. Knopfler’s guitar playing rules. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, casapete said:

I was working in a record shop when ‘Sultans of swing’ first came out. We used to stock pretty much every single that was released, and I remember reordering this one regularly over quite a long period - only sold a few copies a week so went under the radar a bit. Then one day I thought I’d listen to it to see why it was selling and being quite surprised - this was after all around the height of punk, 1978 and it went quite against most of the type of stuff new bands were releasing. Anyway, it gradually became a hit, and so did the album.  I never really got into DS that much, although have always loved Knopfler’s playing. One of those guitarists you recognise instantly, and a top bloke too.

I wasn’t a fan of punk at the time, so when I saw the band name, Dire Straits, in the music press, I assumed it was just another bunch of talentless gobbers (the name does fit the genre, or so I thought). It wasn’t until some time later that I was in a pub and heard the most amazing guitar solo. I went quickly to the jukebox (ah, those were the days) to see what it was; lo and behold, it was Sultans. The dismissive attitude of youth had me coming late to the DS party. I picked up Communique cheap in a street market and bought the debut album shortly afterwards and these remain my favourite DS albums to this day. I also now have a much better appreciation of punk, but was obviously late (very, very late) to that party too.

• Like 1

As I recall, Bob Dylan booked DS as his support act after hearing their debut album, so he must have liked it too. :i-m_so_happy:

l've always preferred early DS to the later more commercial stuff - "Making movies" my favourite album.  

The late '70's seems to mainly rembered for punk, but the British music scene was an amazing melting pot at that time - punk, emerging new wave, pub rock, funk, disco,  "new" heavy metal, and many of the old rockers (Stones etc) still doing their stuff.

One of my guilty Pleasures are Dire Straits... I really should like them but I love em. The first album is indeed class, but then again so is everything up to Brothers in Arms. Saw a bloke do a great cover of Sultans in Benidorm.

I absolutely love this too.... ooh the ending❤️

• Like 1

I liked their earlier stuff but money for nothing and walk of life are among my most hated songs of all time. Maybe it's because they were out when video jukeboxes were all the rage and they used to get played to death. Dancing in the dark and road to nowhere are another two songs I despise!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

I liked their earlier stuff but money for nothing and walk of life are among my most hated songs of all time. Maybe it's because they were out when video jukeboxes were all the rage and they used to get played to death. Dancing in the dark and road to nowhere are another two songs I despise!

Walk of life is indeed a big stinky poo💩. That keyboard haunts me wherever I go. 

WOO HOO

Edited by P-Belly Evans
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Can you recommend one ? I tried one before and it was rubbish 

Mines an envivo from aldi I think. Does the job for me, but then again I haven't started the mammoth task of transferring my thousands of tapes to the computer yet, so don't know how good the quality will be. Plugged in and used with headphones is fine for me though. 

• Thanks 1