Why become a member? ×

Lightweight 5 string

steviedee

All this working from home has made my eyes wander towards a new bass I don’t need. I’m currently thinking about a lightweight and not too expensive 5. Does anyone have any recommendations? Not hugely keen on the ibbies with the tiny headstocks but don’t mind modern looking, quite like the look of the Spectorcore but I’d probably want fretted and haven’t seen any reviews of the fretted version and I’m a wee bit concerned it might be a bit semi acoustic and old school. 

Edited by steviedee

15 minutes ago, King Tut said:

I just bought a Yamaha TRBX 305. Weighs in at bang on 9lb. I like it lots!

I’ m not completely into the way it looks but you can’t fault the price. I’ve had a couple of Yamahas in the past and they were great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Fender MB5 are exceptionally light - mine was 7lbs - and modern looking.  Sound like a Jazz.  Cheap, as MIJ Fenders go.  Don't see them very often, though.

I regret passing up on the one that was on sale here a while ago. 

6 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Fender MB5 are exceptionally light - mine was 7lbs - and modern looking.  Sound like a Jazz.  Cheap, as MIJ Fenders go.  Don't see them very often, though.

I’ve never heard of them really ludicrously cheap.

12 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

I had a Cort B5 Ash that was between 6 and 7 lbs, stupidly light and felt like nothing on a strap. Get a newer one that doesn't have the Bart MkI preamp though.

There is a C5 plus ZBMH local to me any experience of those?

43 minutes ago, steviedee said:

There is a C5 plus ZBMH local to me any experience of those?

I haven't got any experience of the newer C series, I do have an ancient C5P but that was from the MiK Cort days. It is super light though.

That one you mentioned has the same Markbass preamp with Bart MkI pickups as the B series, mahogany body instead of ash though so weight might be a bit more. They are super compact basses with short headstocks so even one that isn't as light as the ash bodied basses won't feel heavy or ungainly. Price difference is only £80 or so between that and the B series though.

• Like 1

Gibson EB5 either the 2013/14 retro style (like the one in my avatar) or the current one with pointed horns. Weigh in at around 3.5kg, super comfortable to play with great pickups which have pull pots to change to single coils. Should be able to pick one up for around £600 (i paid less) an absolute bargain for a USA made bass.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steviedee said:

That thread goes back over 10 years!

A week today, and it will be 13 years old. Only it's older than that, because I originally posted it on Basstalk (one of Basschat's precursors).

Hugely under-rated and under-valued basses. Personally I didn't get on with the 5-string SB325, but that turned out (over time, and a ridiculous amount of GAS) to be because I'm actually a devotee of the 35" scale when it comes to 5-stringers, not that I knew that in 2007.

My own fave was and remains the SB320. If another one came up for sale tomorrow I'd probably buy it, even though I have no possible excuse for doing so, simply for old time's sake!

• Like 1