Why become a member? ×

Stereo preamp

AndyBass

Hi. I need to replace my dying K&K rockabilly preamp. Shadow isn’t an option as I also want the preamp as a blender between my mag and clicky on one bass, as well as the normal piezo/clicky setup on another.

But for a brand that feels like it’s been superseded by Shadow quite significantly, the prospect of paying top dollar for the K&K feels a bit daft.

Does anyone know of other companies make something of a similar spec, ie stereo input, eq/blender, mono output, small enough to clip onto a tailpiece. Big ask I guess but feels like a critical piece of kit with very few options.

Alternatively if anyone has a K&K to move on please shout - if I can’t get better then I can at least try and get cheaper then buying one new!

Thanks folks

Does it absolutely have to mount to the tailpiece?  I played a lot of rockabilly a while back now, starting out as well with the K&K preamp, but in the end I moved to running two cables from the bass; it turned out I rarely needed to make any essential tweaks mid-song.  It's just you'll have considerably more options if you can move to a pedalboard or dual-channel amp setup.

The limitation is because I use a wireless to allow for chucking it about and such. Should’ve said that at the start! So I either need two wirelesses, no clicky and therefore a single signal, or a means of blending both to a mono signal before it hits the wireless (hence the K&K)

I guess I could get a second wireless, but I’d still need a preamp so the costs would start racking up.