Why become a member? ×

Barefaced BB2 Vs DB Embee 12 Vs Vanderkley 112 MNT

JRBass

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new cab but lockdown means unfortunately i can't go and try any out at the moment. 

I like the idea of buying British (especially as now it looks like the economy is taking a big hit!), and have been drawn to the Barefaced line, especially the Big Baby 2, along with the DB Embee 12 which looks like an interesting concept. I know there's a lot about BF cabs on here already, but does anyone have experience of both of these cabs, the positives and negatives?

Also, I know they're not British, but the Vanderkley 112 MNT also looks pretty cool so any opinions on that would be welcome!

• Like 1

Hey @JRBass - I've spent a fair bit of time on that particular journey, myself, and have had two VK (both 210s) and two BF cabs over the past 3 or so years. You won't be disappointed with either brand IMO. The VKs are a little more coloured / sweeter sounding than the BF.

I've ended up (a little to my surprise tbh) with a BF BB2 as my intended goto gigging cab, which I got hold of just before lockdown so have not had chance to try out in anger with full rock band yet. But I really like the combination of sound quality / articulation, frequency response, power handling & output and fantastic portability; as a 112 it's pretty hard to beat across all those categories taken together but it doesn't come cheap - I was fortunate to get one used in vgc. 

What set up and band will you be using it for - I see from your avatar that you're mainly an upright double bass player?

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hey @JRBass - I've spent a fair bit of time on that particular journey, myself, and have had two VK (both 210s) and two BF cabs over the past 3 or so years. You won't be disappointed with either brand IMO. The VKs are a little more coloured / sweeter sounding than the BF.

I've ended up (a little to my surprise tbh) with a BF BB2 as my intended goto gigging cab, which I got hold of just before lockdown so have not had chance to try out in anger with full rock band yet. But I really like the combination of sound quality / articulation, frequency response, power handling & output and fantastic portability; as a 112 it's pretty hard to beat across all those categories taken together but it doesn't come cheap - I was fortunate to get one used in vgc. 

What set up and band will you be using it for - I see from your avatar that you're mainly an upright double bass player?

Looking forward to your review of the BB2 when we get back to loud music. 

5 hours ago, JRBass said:

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new cab but lockdown means unfortunately i can't go and try any out at the moment. 

I like the idea of buying British (especially as now it looks like the economy is taking a big hit!), and have been drawn to the Barefaced line, especially the Big Baby 2, along with the DB Embee 12 which looks like an interesting concept. I know there's a lot about BF cabs on here already, but does anyone have experience of both of these cabs, the positives and negatives?

Also, I know they're not British, but the Vanderkley 112 MNT also looks pretty cool so any opinions on that would be welcome!

Hi JRsorry for the late reply just getting used to the Bass Chat site

our 1x12 bass cabs are ultralight Bernard was telling me when I delivered his Triple Bass Case

S off Dixon has been making ultra lite Aluminum Cabs for 17years we first started with 4x12 Guitar Cabs But it was to soon people only wanted wooden cabs but when I got talking to Bernard he was very interested in hearing what one sounded like now he has it he loves if

If you wish to talk about it further my email address is [email protected] this would be the quickest way to get me if you wish to discuss it further

john Dixon

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks, that’s really useful! 
I swap quite a lot between upright and electric bass, playing mostly jazz, rock and pop. Varies from trio to function band mainly, so I don’t need anything huge for trio’s, but need something that can keep up in a 10 piece function band. The three cabs seem to meet my needs on paper, but great to hear how people are finding them in the real world! 

1 hour ago, John Dixon said:

our 1x12 bass cabs are ultralight Bernard was telling me when I delivered his Triple Bass Case

S off Dixon has been making ultra lite Aluminum Cabs for 17years we first started with 4x12 Guitar Cabs But it was to soon people only wanted wooden cabs but when I got talking to Bernard he was very interested in hearing what one sounded like now he has it he loves if

If you wish to talk about it further my email address is [email protected] this would be the quickest way to get me if you wish to discuss it further

john Dixon

Thanks, I’ll check it out! 

Unsure if you're open to other suggestions (it's a slightly different concept to the head & cab setup). I previously had a Big Baby 2 but I now use of these RCFs.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_732_a_mk_iv.htm

The things they have in common with the Big Baby 2 are the clarity, faithful, very loud, and sound quality not compromised at high volumes. RCF is heavier, but with better handles. I too play in a 10-piece function band and it's been perfect for me.

18 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Unsure if you're open to other suggestions (it's a slightly different concept to the head & cab setup). I previously had a Big Baby 2 but I now use of these RCFs.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/rcf_art_732_a_mk_iv.htm

The things they have in common with the Big Baby 2 are the clarity, faithful, very loud, and sound quality not compromised at high volumes. RCF is heavier, but with better handles. I too play in a 10-piece function band and it's been perfect for me.

Ah ok, that sounds like an interesting alternative, although I’m think probably going to stick to getting a bass specific cab. Thanks though! 

I have a db Bass Embee 112 which I like. I got the db112 for smaller gigs/smaller stages where I needed to have a good sounding cab without the size. I used it more on C&W gigs with a P bass or Mustang - P tones-  and the cab basically put out what went in. It handled the lows well (I'm only playing 4 string basses at minute) and I wasn't after a super crispy/airy top end which it can do (rated up to 30kHz). I don't really push much above 4kHz on my amp. I have used it with a Jazz bass and both my amps and it responds as you'd expect. P bass and vintage sounding amp, tweeter off is a great giging sound, J bass with modern amp and tweeter wide open sounds crisp and modern but not harsh.

About amps... I have two amps, one of which has a parametric eq and is a super clean, more modern sounding and I find with that head I can dial the amp in to really suit the db112 cab very easily - the beauty of that style of EQ. I think because my other cab (Tecamp 212) just sounds bigger/fuller by default the 112 can seem to lack something if played side by side in comparison. It doesn't but in a side by side a 212 is always gonna sound like it has more of everything. The db112 is by no means lacking and works equally as well with my more vintage sounding head which has a Fender style vintage tone stack and handles the modern stuff with ease too.

The db probably weights more than the BF stuff but has a good form factor, well designed handles and more of an upward firing speaker position with bass port when in a tight space. I dig it, it's a cool cab design and has thoughtful touches - you can tell it was designed for a gigging player.

There might still be some available on thr DB Bass reverb page at discount...their 1210 for £295 delivered is a ridiculous deal and just under 15kg

https://reverb.com/brand/db-bass?product_type=amps&category=bass-cabinets

• Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 21:35, John Dixon said:

john Dixon

On 22/05/2020 at 18:36, la bam said:

I've ordered one of those elbee 1210s.

Injury means I may need something light in the future, so this looks ideal.

Just now, John Dixon said:

we make a 2 x10 Bass Cab 600 watt or 800watt also the new 1X12 Ultra LIght Bass Cab 10kg loaded with a Celestion 300 100w BN12 with a CDX 1730 Compression driver with attenuator  

2 carry handles for easy handlingmade form Aircraft Grade Aluminium ask Bernard he has just taken delivery of one.    John Dixon

On 22/05/2020 at 22:07, krispn said:

Aye Faital Pro's - looks like the old style 1210's are all sold.

Just now, John Dixon said: