Why become a member? ×

For all the tabla and upright bass freaks out there...

Old Man Riva

I know the Top 40 is full of this stuff these days, but what the heck... here’s some more!

Edit to say, not sure if it works or not, and I don’t understand how all this kind of internet/social media stuff works, but well worth seeking out if you can!

Edit again... I’ve copied a link from YouTube, which will hopefully work better!

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Kirky said:

I tried tablas once.  You need so much strength in your fingers.  Thanks for sharing, that was great.

They fascinate me! I love percussion and rhythm (especially repetitive) and the sound they make is something I’m really drawn to.

When you tried them how did you get on?

8 minutes ago, Kirky said:

Terribly, couldn't get anything like a good sound, just didn't have the technique.  Love the sound when they're well played.

That’s similar to my experiences when attempting to get a decent sound out of various percussion instruments I’ve tried!

With tabla, it’s the little ghost notes and subtle ‘taps’ (for want of a better way of explaining it) that make it sound so good for me.

An old friend of mine used to produce a number of tabla artists and he said that to get anywhere near being competent - let alone master the technique - would take years and years of discipline and practice.

I bought a Roland HandSonic for the specific purpose of having tabla (and other exotic percussion) at my fingertips. I too am hypnotized by their sound. I live in Central New Jersey where a sizable Indian population thrives and went into a store in Edison where they imported them. (a couple of miles from Sam Ash) You can get a beautiful pair for $175 US. I was intrigued, tried them (haha) but didn't buy. But the store owner was curious with this pony-tailed white boy checking them out and GAVE ME a cd of tabla playing/tutorial! I think I piqued his interest because I learned how to count odd meters in high school with Don Ellis's book (don't remember the name). D.E. was a big band leader/ trumpeter and inventor of the 4-valve quarter-tone trumpet and know for playing complex meters and utilizing the Indian counting system. And I was discussing this w/ him & I was even invited to his temple for a celebration, one of "gods" (that's what they call them) was visiting from India that week! ( had to take my shoes off, we were separated from the wimmen, and me & my two friends were the only white people there) but BOY what a welcoming group! FYI still can't play HandSonic Tabla worth a sh*t...

I love the sound of the tabla, so it was an absolute pleasure to dep for this band a number of times throughout 2015-16:

Francesco and Simran from the band did a drum and tabla clinic a few years ago which is well worth a watch, here is the part where Simran talks in detail about the tabla:

• Like 1