Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1983 Ibanez Musician MC-924 Polar White

discreet

9 hours ago, gafbass02 said:

I love everything about it.

So do I! The more I live with it the more I realise practically every bass I've ever had was badly-made and mediocre-sounding! There, I've said it! :lol:

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

On 16/05/2020 at 20:19, discreet said:

Doin' this and that. :)

I know D Swift has one. Seeing him with it helped my GAS not one bit.

IMG_5322-1.jpg

He has a whole house full of secondhand Ibanez basses. He's a big fan (and probably has an endorsement).

18 hours ago, discreet said:

Well... I remained GAS-free for very nearly a day. But now I have clouds of GAS for an MC-924 DS. DS stands for Dark Stain... the wood-finish Wal-alike. I'll need one with flats on, won't I??

No mate, you need the fretless version like i have😁

ibanez 3.jpg

Edited by police squad
picture
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

Golden era of Ibanez basses. Wonderful... Congratulations!

Thank you! Golden era, eh..? I did not know that, but it sure as hell plays and sounds like it. I'm really glad that I picked it up, but also sad that I didn't do so thirty-odd years ago. But let's be positive, I may have left this Earth without ever having owned one at all! :lol:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, discreet said:

Thank you! Golden era, eh..? I did not know that, but it sure as hell plays and sounds like it. I'm really glad that I picked it up, but also sad that I didn't do so thirty-odd years ago. But let's be positive, I may have left this Earth without ever having owned one at all! :lol:

I owned an unmarked fretless version during the 80's... killer bass!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a thing, I bought a small bottle of nail polish to touch up a few of the dings and dents in the bass and hopefully prevent any further degradation (that's my excuse, anyway). Bit difficult to colour match online, so it was a gamble. But it's just about perfect. What are the odds??

IMG_20200520_133524.jpg

Edited by discreet

Lord have mercy, it turns out Ibanez Musician GAS is just like any other GAS, only worse! :shok: Quick question for you fretless players out there:

How long did it take you to become proficient on a fretless? Can you just pick one up and play it? Or does it take days, or weeks, or months to learn? I thank you! :)

htuw9yzgxe2vxuatcawg.jpg

Edited by discreet
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, discreet said:

Lord have Mercy, turns out Ibanez Musician GAS is just like any other GAS, only worse! :shok: Quick question for you fretless players out there:

How long did it take you to become proficient on a fretless? Can you just pick one up and play it? Or does it take days, or weeks, or months to learn? I thank you! :)

htuw9yzgxe2vxuatcawg.jpg

I found it a natural transition. However, all my fretless basses have been lined, which may have helped, but I’ve also played unlined which wasn’t hugely different. But it doesn’t matter if any of us found it hard or easy, what’s important is that you’ll have one of those beauties. 😉

50 minutes ago, ezbass said:

...it doesn’t matter if any of us found it hard or easy, what’s important is that you’ll have one of those beauties. 😉

Thanks very much, that's what I was fearing. :facepalm: Ay caramba! The current mrs discreet will have my love-spuds on toast.