Why become a member? ×

NBD: 1983 Ibanez Musician MC-924 Polar White

discreet

The LORD tells us that Idle hands are the devil's workshop... and thus did it come to pass that I unexpectedly stumbled across this unholy beast. Almost immediately, voluminous clouds of sulphurous GAS appeared. Eww! Save me, Jebus! But I've been yearning for one of these - on and off - for many years, particularly in Polar White. After an epic struggle with my inner thoughts and feelings the planets all lined up and lo, it fell into my hot 'n' heavy heathen's hands. It has accumulated a fair number of dings, dents and scuffs over its 37 years and the Hipshot tuners are clearly not original - but the rest of it is, including the monstrous 3-band EQ-B Tone System, Sure-Grip Controls, P5S and J5S pickups, Accu-cast Bridge, 5-piece maple and walnut laminate through-neck (with steel tone bars), ebony board, ash wings and original green velvet-lined leather case. Serial number dates it to May, 1983. Build quality is superlative. Finish is a heavenly cream pearl under a light amber lacquer with highlights of gold and green. Very lush. It looks like butter, but plays more like silk. A stunning range of big, bold, very usable sounds on tap. Incredibly responsive, hugely playable and punchier than Punchy McPunch, winner of last year's 'Mr Punchy' competition. It's alive! Once I get more acquainted with it, I'll record and post an audio clip. But for now, I'm pretty stoked. Praise be!

MCSofa.jpg

MCContsBridge.jpg

MCInCase.jpg

MCHeadFront.jpg

MCHeadBack.jpg

MCBridge.jpg

MCBackNeck.jpg

MCUpright.jpg

MCLegend.jpg

MCJackSock.jpg

MCBattBox.jpg

MCCase.jpg

Edited by discreet
  • Like 19

56 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

You lucky bugger! I used to lust after one of these, in a music shop in Torquay in the early eighties. Too expensive for me then. Congratulations!

Too expensive for me then, too. In fact, too expensive for me now! But sometimes you just have to pleasure yourself. So to speak.

On 16/05/2020 at 18:43, Defo said:

Gorgeous. They are still some of the best basses you can buy, ludicrously good value for money. 

But HEAVY

They really are good value. And they are relatively heavy. This one is 9.75lbs according to the bathroom scales. Not as heavy as some of the heaviest 70s Fenders, but possibly too heavy for the fragile backs and shoulders of BassChat. ;)

Edited by discreet

Good to see you back Mr Discreet. Where have you been? :D

Good lookin bass you have there. Not like you to buy a white bass. Did you have to a bit of a commando raid to keep it out of the hands of a certain Mr D Swift?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Good to see you back Mr Discreet. Where have you been? :D

Did you have to a bit of a commando raid to keep it out of the hands of a certain Mr D Swift?

Doin' this and that. :)

I know D Swift has one. Seeing him with it helped my GAS not one bit.

IMG_5322-1.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, discreet said:

They really are good value. And they are relatively heavy. This one is 9.75lbs according to the bathroom scales. Not as heavy as some of the heaviest 70s Fenders, but too heavy for the fragile backs and shoulders of BassChat. ;)

Hey - welcome back!

9.75 lbs is not heavy - anything under around 10lbs is manageable in my books and I'm no Iron Man and no youth.

This, on the other, hand is heavy at 12 lbs...

2_64b54a99-65ba-4dae-8d54-d8fe765fcaac.jpg?v=1563552571

• Like 1

This thread had me pick up mine again yesterday after not playing them for quite some time. My 1983 is still one of my favourite basses ever! My 1981 however (with the older body style, the brown soapbar singlecoils, and a LOT heavier and with a much fatter and wider neck) didn't suit me at all anymore. It just felt big, unwieldy and heavy with an overly bright tone. I even consider selling it now 😬

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

9.75 lbs is not heavy - anything under around 10lbs is manageable in my books and I'm no Iron Man and no youth.

I agree, 9.75lbs isn't overly heavy, especially when the bass is well balanced and hangs in a good position on the strap, as this one does.

Weight seems to be a hot issue on BC though, often the first question in a For Sale thread is, 'Weight?' when it might more usefully be, 'Is the truss rod working?'. :)

Edited by discreet

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Hey - welcome back!

This, on the other, hand is heavy at 12 lbs...

2_64b54a99-65ba-4dae-8d54-d8fe765fcaac.jpg?v=1563552571

...but very beautiful to look at..😍🥰😵

23 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

...but very beautiful to look at..😍🥰😵

Yes, indeed. But twelve pounds! Still, a hammer and a feather can weigh the same when you're tripping. That, or those hippies were stronger than they looked. 😁

Just now, discreet said:

Yes, indeed. But twelve pounds! Still, a hammer and a feather can weigh the same when you're tripping. That, or those hippies were stronger than they looked. 😁

Just younger and with better backs. I suspect they might struggle along with the rest of us these days! 

I’ve owned my old mc924 since new (1983).she’s pretty battered but an absolutely wonderful instrument.I’ve yet to play a bass that can it touch it in terms of fit and feel,and OMG a neck to die for! Tone wise only my Wals surpass it,but not by much in my opinion.I’ve never weighed it but never had an issue with a nice decent wide strap.I think Ibanez dropped a real clanger when they done the limited edition run some years ago but making them way too expensive and out of reach of most players .If they’d priced them realistically I think they would have been a best seller.

• Like 1

Just now, tubbybloke68 said:

I’ve yet to play a bass that can it touch it in terms of fit and feel, and OMG a neck to die for!

Absolutely agree. I'm really beginning to wish I'd found this bass at the beginning of my career, not at the end of it. Would have saved me a LOT of grief. And a pile of cash.

• Like 1