Why become a member? ×

Sterling SB14?

TJ1

Further to my recent thread about buying a 1500 bass without knowing how to play one, I took the advice here and decided to go cheap.

I got a used Sterling by musicman SB14 for £300. It certainly looks the part -all black with high quality chrome knobs.

My question is notes played on the upper frets sound smooth, the way I thought a bass should sound, but as I go lower down the notes sound sort of slappy and metallic. Is this a fault with the instrument? or is this way basses are? or could it be my technique?

2 hours ago, TJ1 said:

My question is notes played on the upper frets sound smooth...

@TJ1 Can we just make sure that we understand your use of 'upper' and 'lower'. Normally, to bassists (and even musicians...), 'upper' means higher notes, so, with a bass, notes played nearer the bridge. 'Lower' means deeper notes, played nearer the headstock. Is that your interpretation, too..?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJ1 said:

as I go lower down the notes sound sort of slappy and metallic

Lots of people look for this sound. Is the instrument properly tuned? Not wanting to be condescending but it could be tuned to itself but too low. This is very hard to diagnose without hearing it as said by Classic Vibes.

32 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

@TJ1 Can we just make sure that we understand your use of 'upper' and 'lower'. Normally, to bassists (and even musicians...), 'upper' means higher notes, so, with a bass, notes played nearer the bridge. 'Lower' means deeper notes, played nearer the headstock. Is that your interpretation, too..?

No sorry I got that the wrong way round. What I meant was that the lower notes played near the headstock sounded better and smoother than the more metallic slappy higher notes nearer the bridge

• Thanks 1

Sounds like the action is a bit on the low side to me, assuming it’s tuned to standard pitch. Set ups are not normally something beginners are going to learn, or be comfortable with, at the outset (not that it’s particularly difficult if you’re at all handy) and it sounds like your bass could benefit from one. However, if it’s playing ok in the lower registers, I’d stick to learning to play it there (it’s where most of us spend our time anyway) and once the current situation allows, get it set up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TJ1 said:

No sorry I got that the wrong way round. What I meant was that the lower notes played near the headstock sounded better and smoother than the more metallic slappy higher notes nearer the bridge

This makes it clearer. It does sound like the action is too low or there's a bow in the neck. Don't worry this is all perfectly easy to sort out. plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to achieve this or if you are a bit worried a local guitar store will do a set up for you. Good luck with your new hobby. You will love it. Frustrating at times but stick with it 👍

OK, thanks for the update. It's not going to be easy to sort you out by Forum, unless you can record some stuff, and we don't have your location. Ono-on one would be the best way forward, I'd say; any chance of having a bass-playing buddy come by to check it out..? There may be a willing BC member near you. Sterling basses are fine, so it's only a question of confirming that all is OK, or getting the tiny tweaks of a set-up done. A good music shop might be able to help, too, especially if that's where you'll be buying strings and stuff..!
Hope this helps. B|

Edit : Ah, I see 'North London'. Open question for the Forum, then... Any BCers from there..? Any recommendations for a decent workshop in that area to sort this out..?

Edit 2 It might not need a recording, if a Skype session could be arranged.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

One thing I will add. If you do attempt to straighten a neck, do it in small movements at a time a quarter turn usually is enough and don't expect the neck to straighten before your eyes and think it hasn't worked and keep turning. A quarter turn then left for a while and check later. The neck takes time to react to the truss rod turning.

22 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

OK, thanks for the update. It's not going to be easy to sort you out by Forum, unless you can record some stuff, and we don't have your location. Ono-on one would be the best way forward, I'd say; any chance of having a bass-playing buddy come by to check it out..? There may be a willing BC member near you. Sterling basses are fine, so it's only a question of confirming that all is OK, or getting the tiny tweaks of a set-up done. A good music shop might be able to help, too, especially if that's where you'll be buying strings and stuff..!
Hope this helps. B|

Edit : Ah, I see 'North London'. Open question for the Forum, then... Any BCers from there..? Any recommendations for a decent workshop in that area to sort this out..?

Edit 2 It might not need a recording, if a Skype session could be arranged.

many thanks. I was going to take it to Bobby Joe's music in Seven sisters road, I think they know basses - at least they sell quite a few second ones.(I got this one off a private seller)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJ1 said:

many thanks. I was going to take it to Bobby Joe's music in Seven sisters road, I think they know basses - at least they sell quite a few second ones.(I got this one off a private seller)

North London - The Gallery in Camden, is THE place to go IMO (lockdown advice notwithstanding).

• Like 2

If you’re going to take it somewhere in London, particularly as a beginner, take it to the Bass Gallery. 

One thing I can’t help wondering though, is if it’s essentially a Musicman Sterling, and if you’ve got the controls wide open, well, a Musicman wide open is typically a pretty zingy bass and if you’ve no experience of this and are expecting something more mellow it may come as a surprise. I take it you’ve tried fiddling with the controls? Apologies if it’s a stupid question, but I have no real idea how much experience you have. 

That’s assuming you’re plugging it in...

Edited by 4000

There are so many factors to a tone that they're not happy with for beginners.

Sound advice in getting the bass set up by a professional and yes, many will agree in the wisdom of taking the Bass into a reputable establishment like The Gallery. 👍

However what amp are you using? If you've read anything here you'll know that even established players are struggling for a tonal package that they're happy with. Equipment is a factor for many. You're probably aspiring to a particular tone which even experienced players haven't mastered. 😕

Be realistic - it's going to take some tome for you to get the feel and response, not only from your instrument but also from your contribution.

Strings can be an issue - both new strings (too zingy) and old (too dull or thumpy). Read the numerous "your favourite strings" threads - there is no consensus.

Also you have new, fresh finger tips which will toughen up and harden over time. Your technique is (no disrespect meant) probably poor currently, again over time this will improve. 🙄

For now, get a sound basis for learning to play - a well set up bass, a good quality amp/combo and a realistic view in how much of the sound you are unhappy with is down to you.

I would consider recording what you sound like and listen back to this over time. Give it six months and you'll hear the improvement. You may even find that your initial concerns may not have been such an issue as you think currently.

A quote/ mantra that has served me well...

The 35+ Best Learning quotes - Motivational Quotes at Quotlr (With ...