Jump to content
Left leaderboard
missis sumner

You can't hurry love

Recommended Posts

The clue is in the title, maybe..? DQFcX8c.png

...

XHlPYfU.png gXWG4Qr.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check this video, Lee Sklar has played it hundreds of times with Phil Collins.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, missis sumner said:

Is this song played very much behind the beat, or wot?

S'cuse my noob bass ears, but it just seems very... "relaxed", no?

Which version?

Phil's and the Supremes are very different in feel and note choice.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, missis sumner said:

Is this song played very much behind the beat, or wot?

 

In all my years of playing music I've never grasped the concept of playing behind the beat. Or in front. I'm sure I've been doing it, or hearing it, but if I have it's been subconsciously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ambient said:

Check this video, Lee Sklar has played it hundreds of times with Phil Collins.

 

I've been watching a lot of his videos, recently.  Great stuff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Which version?

Phil's and the Supremes are very different in feel and note choice.

I was actually playing along to the Supremes version, with Rocksmith 😳, for my sins (well, because I haven't figured out how the song goes yet ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

In all my years of playing music I've never grasped the concept of playing behind the beat. Or in front. I'm sure I've been doing it, or hearing it, but if I have it's been subconsciously.

Push and pull - I'm sure I do it all the time, much to the consternation of my drummer! 😂  Not that I have a drummer anymore... 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

This may help

 

I actually have the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book at home, but I'm locked-down in my mum's house.

It'll do me good to work it out by ear (with a little cheating, from above).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one sounds  like the most accurate to me, by our very own Constantine 🙂

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

This one sounds  like the most accurate to me, by our very own Constantine 🙂

 

...for the Phil Collins version, maybe 🙂

John Giblin straightened the part right out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite is Andrew Bodnar on the 1976 Graham Parker and the Rumour live bootleg.. I play it at least once a week!

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve only played it once after hearing it on the radio, it’s such a cool Bassline, definitely a great one to learn 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

In all my years of playing music I've never grasped the concept of playing behind the beat. Or in front. I'm sure I've been doing it, or hearing it, but if I have it's been subconsciously.

I brought this up ages ago and was soundly berated as I said surely if its behind the beat it's out of time but the final conclusion was  that behind the beat is a feel rather than playing slightly out of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just listened to the original, Supremes, recording (again...) on Youtube, and it sounds just fine to me, neither slow, fast, behind nor in front. Just a sound, solid, bass line, nicely tucked in with the drums. The 'feel' is of a real player, rather than a metronome, but there's no fault that I can hear (Disclaimer I'm a drummer...). I can't hear any problem with it. Just sayin'. B|

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

In all my years of playing music I've never grasped the concept of playing behind the beat. Or in front. I'm sure I've been doing it, or hearing it, but if I have it's been subconsciously.

Yeah me neither... too clever for me.

I just play in time... 🤔

I also play my fretless in tune 🤥 ...honest.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This video came up on the one that @ubit posted. The description at the top is great. The rest is a bit of a let down. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't understand is when they talk of drummers playing behind or in front of the beat. It's the drummer who creates the beat surely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ubit said:

 

With the greatest of respect that video is rubbish. On was appropriate and in time, behind was out of time, and ahead was alternating between out of time and the same as on. When he’s playing behind you can clearly hear a nasty flam effect with the double bass. It’s just different terms for the right feel for a style or genre. There is no on, behind or ahead of the beat, only something that is in time. Think about it - if I play ahead, the keys are on the beat and the drums are behind, it’s a train wreck. If everyone plays ahead or on or behind then it’s just in time, which is on.. I’ve heard the beat being described as having a width which permits this behind, on or ahead. I’ve never heard it and never heard anyone I’ve played with demonstrate it successfully either. Don’t confuse feel, timing and especially note length and articulation as this is often what people really mean. All IMHO, of course :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

With the greatest of respect that video is rubbish. On was appropriate and in time, behind was out of time, and ahead was alternating between out of time and the same as on. When he’s playing behind you can clearly hear a nasty flam effect with the double bass. It’s just different terms for the right feel for a style or genre. There is no on, behind or ahead of the beat, only something that is in time. Think about it - if I play ahead, the keys are on the beat and the drums are behind, it’s a train wreck. If everyone plays ahead or on or behind then it’s just in time, which is on.. I’ve heard the beat being described as having a width which permits this behind, on or ahead. I’ve never heard it and never heard anyone I’ve played with demonstrate it successfully either. Don’t confuse feel, timing and especially note length and articulation as this is often what people really mean. All IMHO, of course :)

I thought that too. It wasn't the best video to represent the definition. I thought he was playing wildly out of time. If you look at the link below my video the information explains it much better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...