Why become a member? ×

You can't hurry love

3 hours ago, missis sumner said:

Is this song played very much behind the beat, or wot?

In all my years of playing music I've never grasped the concept of playing behind the beat. Or in front. I'm sure I've been doing it, or hearing it, but if I have it's been subconsciously.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

In all my years of playing music I've never grasped the concept of playing behind the beat. Or in front. I'm sure I've been doing it, or hearing it, but if I have it's been subconsciously.

Push and pull - I'm sure I do it all the time, much to the consternation of my drummer! 😂  Not that I have a drummer anymore... 😕

13 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I brought this up ages ago and was soundly berated as I said surely if its behind the beat it's out of time but the final conclusion was  that behind the beat is a feel rather than playing slightly out of time. 

I've just listened to the original, Supremes, recording (again...) on Youtube, and it sounds just fine to me, neither slow, fast, behind nor in front. Just a sound, solid, bass line, nicely tucked in with the drums. The 'feel' is of a real player, rather than a metronome, but there's no fault that I can hear (Disclaimer I'm a drummer...). I can't hear any problem with it. Just sayin'. B|

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Yeah me neither... too clever for me.

I just play in time... 🤔

I also play my fretless in tune 🤥 ...honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ubit said:

With the greatest of respect that video is rubbish. On was appropriate and in time, behind was out of time, and ahead was alternating between out of time and the same as on. When he’s playing behind you can clearly hear a nasty flam effect with the double bass. It’s just different terms for the right feel for a style or genre. There is no on, behind or ahead of the beat, only something that is in time. Think about it - if I play ahead, the keys are on the beat and the drums are behind, it’s a train wreck. If everyone plays ahead or on or behind then it’s just in time, which is on.. I’ve heard the beat being described as having a width which permits this behind, on or ahead. I’ve never heard it and never heard anyone I’ve played with demonstrate it successfully either. Don’t confuse feel, timing and especially note length and articulation as this is often what people really mean. All IMHO, of course :)

2 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

With the greatest of respect that video is rubbish. On was appropriate and in time, behind was out of time, and ahead was alternating between out of time and the same as on. When he’s playing behind you can clearly hear a nasty flam effect with the double bass. It’s just different terms for the right feel for a style or genre. There is no on, behind or ahead of the beat, only something that is in time. Think about it - if I play ahead, the keys are on the beat and the drums are behind, it’s a train wreck. If everyone plays ahead or on or behind then it’s just in time, which is on.. I’ve heard the beat being described as having a width which permits this behind, on or ahead. I’ve never heard it and never heard anyone I’ve played with demonstrate it successfully either. Don’t confuse feel, timing and especially note length and articulation as this is often what people really mean. All IMHO, of course :)

I thought that too. It wasn't the best video to represent the definition. I thought he was playing wildly out of time. If you look at the link below my video the information explains it much better.