Why become a member? ×

KiOgon Tone Switch.

gary mac

I haven’t actually decided which instrument to install this in as yet but as soon as I saw John’s advert on the forum, I knew that it would be a great piece of kit and a worthwhile upgrade. 
Once I’ve got it installed, I’ll post a review and maybe some sound clips. Meanwhile I can confirm that, as with all of John’s kits, this one looks very neat and tidy, and includes clear, concise installation instructions. 

03CAF0C6-F22D-4049-984A-D66088D1976C.jpeg

0F40F0A6-20CE-4D05-85EF-E3A83CACBB79.jpeg

FE8BA9D7-2A73-4291-B36C-D7999A6E777F.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

With a little bit of time on my hands at the weekend, I decided to install John's tone switch in my custom P bass. I put this bass together a couple of years back and had been regularly gigging with it, prior to the lock down. 

This bass has the Fender 62 original pick ups installed and a standard P bass wiring loom that I put together, with CTS pots, switchcraft socket and vintage style, cloth covered cable.

The installation was straight forward, I was able to leave the strings on, so it was just a case of removing the pick guard screws and maneuvering the guard out. I chose to unsolder the existing wires to make the necessary connections but they could have just been snipped. Then the original tone pot along with its capacitor was lifted out and the new tone pot switch put in place. The wires were inserted in to the relevant connectors and the screws tightened. Once the guard was back in place, all that remained was to put my original flat top knob on and the job was complete.  

I've had a couple of days to experiment and play about with the settings, and must say that I'm pleased with this little device. The eye opener for me is the second/B setting, which is the bypass, straight through option. I just loved the aggressive, clanky tone and I know it will work well for me in the band.

Moving on to the .047uf (C) gives a much warmer, mellow and very useable, P bass tone. The difference between the .047uf cap and the .1uf (D) is  more subtle than when moving from B to C, very useable though and lovely for deep dubby sounding bass. 

All in all a great little device and a worthwhile upgrade. It'll be staying in my P bass, just hope I get to try it out at a gig at some point.

I'm never sure about the value of sound clips but I will post a video clip in a while. If you're listening on decent speakers or through head phones you should get to hear what it does. 

• Like 3

Thanks a million for that Gary, I'm pleased you like it, the video is great, sounds better live of course, I know!  Earphones or PC speakers can only do so much 🔊

Good you're leaving it in your lovely P,  I hope you get some live action with it soon, see what the rest of the band think, especially in B mode 😎

Cheerz, John

• Like 2