Why become a member? ×

Rick Beato on Jaco Pastorius...

wateroftyne

Rick B is great. That playing on Donna Lee just wasn't my thing though, clever as it was.

I know this is a very heretical opinion, but I don't like Bass as a solo or lead instrument (either electric or DB). A few bars of breadown with the drums maybe, but nothing further.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

I know this is a very heretical opinion, but I don't like Bass as a solo or lead instrument (either electric or DB). 

I would call that the normal position that most people have, so it would be hard for that to be heretical.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nilebodgers said:

Rick B is great. That playing on Donna Lee just wasn't my thing though, clever as it was.

I know this is a very heretical opinion, but I don't like Bass as a solo or lead instrument (either electric or DB). A few bars of breadown with the drums maybe, but nothing further.

The point is that it doesn't really matter whether you like it or not - it's something that inspired (several) generations of bass players, some who may have influenced you (even if indirectly). 

46 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I have to confess I didn’t get through the whole thing.

I managed the whole lot. Not really my thing, for me the Jaco album kicked into gear with the second song (i.e. the tune after this one), but still interesting to get an understanding of how he interpreted a very challenging bebop standard. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scalpy said:

One thing Rick doesn't point out that starting your debut solo record for a newish instrument and a bass at that with a bebop cover is a proper c### out on the table thing to do. 

Exactly this.

Thanks for posting the video Mr wateroftyne

• Like 1

I thought “not another bloody Jaco video” then I watched the whole thing which was great.

It was an expert analysis of the track by someone I’d never heard before and by someone who so obviously loves the music he was still shaking with excitement over 40 years later.

These sorts of videos is what makes the internet amazing, thanks for sharing!

• Like 4

I watched it all and Rick's video is a heartfelt appreciation of another bass player. (Rick is a bass player by formal training.) The harmony is pretty complicated because it's a bebop standard so has lots of modulation and chord-tones with chromatic approach notes. What Rick doesn't say, and I've read independently is that even Jaco himself had this tune in development for a long-period, realising that it needed incubation and nurture before he could realise the standard he wanted for his performance.

• Like 1

Rick Beato is great. His "What makes this song Great?" is great. Jaco was "other-worldly". He didn't take a "bass" solo. Some of his lines were stuff a sax player would be hard-pressed to pull off. At his best no one is better. At his worst - showboat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This has been the best run-down of the theory behind this track I have seen and I found it fascinating. My favourite bit is when Rick plays along some jazz chords on a six-string. I felt he took something extraordinary and explained the ordinary behind the scenes element very well. In the end it is music and it abides by certain rules no matter how clever. I still don’t grasp theory or dots on a stave but my ears are good and presentations like this make me feel a little bit closer to the musicians I love to listen to.

• Like 2

‘What makes this song great’ is the best thing on ‘tinernet. Totally watchable, and whilst he’s no virtuoso he’s a ridiculously talented musician. His enthusiasm is such a pleasure to soak up.

Edited by Sandypjb
grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sandypjb said:

‘What makes this song great’ is the best thing on ‘tinernet. Totally watchable, and whilst he’s no virtuoso he’s ridiculously talent musician. His enthusiasm is such a pleasure to soak up.

Another great aspect are his references to blockers; Queen, Black Sabbath etc. Greedy bar stewards. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed that. Not heard anyone break down something that complex in such an accessible way. 
Loved: His enthusiasm, his humility (“I don’t have the chops”), his knowledge and communication skills. 
I’m sure there are many youtubers who have “the chops” and post this, or similarly diifikult choons, note for note but, don’t communicate as well as this gentleman.  
Thanks for sharing, I’ve subscribed to his YT channel.