Why become a member? ×

Fender Pure American Vintage Series.

BritBass 2

Back in 2012 Fender’s newly launched “Pure American Vintage Series” marked a return to recapturing both the look, sound and feel of some of their most iconic instruments. With the original tooling and templates not being transferred in the move from Fullerton to Corona in 1985 , CNC production took over .Although quality control was generally very good , models including the Jazz Bass had substantially changed in their specifications compared to the original Fullerton versions.
Fast forward to 2012 , Fender introduce their new Pure Vintage range , accurate even down to the exact body/neck dimensions and contouring , new pickup voicing , each instrument was supplied with its own period correct case, accessories etc. Sadly these have disappeared from the range to be replaced by generic 50’s and 60’s models ,still exceptional but not as dedicated to any particular vintage year .
How many here would like Fender to start focusing on producing accurate, date set models again ? Classic years could have 12 month production runs , for the Jazz - 1960 stack control, 1962 VVT control , 1966 dot bound fingerboard with lollipop tuners etc.. While for the Precision - 1951, 1957 , 1960 etc . Would be great to hear from those at BC possibly looking to purchase an AVRI .  Thank you.

F9E087AC-85F3-4767-8F4E-7AEC421C50DF.jpeg

Edited by BritBass 2

If they could get them to actually sound like vintage basses I would be all over them. Even the Custom shop, squier 80’s JV and Fullerton reissues that I have tried fell well short. 

Ive not tried a Moollon but they’re supposed to be close and limelight have a good reputation.

I don’t know if it is because the woods they used back then aren’t available now or the original pickup designs are hard to mass produce, but I do find it strange that the reissues are so lacking tonally. 

This, to me, smacks of 'Bring back the Morris Minor'. A bass is a bass is a bass, and Fender even more so, I reckon. At the time (back in the '60s...) there was nothing 'iconic' about these instruments, and I don't believe that's changed much over the decades. 'Serious' collectors will want the originals, anyway. A non-starter, for me.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

This, to me, smacks of 'Bring back the Morris Minor'. A bass is a bass is a bass, and Fender even more so, I reckon. At the time (back in the '60s...) there was nothing 'iconic' about these instruments, and I don't believe that's changed much over the decades. 'Serious' collectors will want the originals, anyway. A non-starter, for me.

I’ve actually found a huge difference between Fender basses, even between ones produced in the same run (such is the lack of QC).

IMO, with the 60’s and 70’s basses, it isn’t just hype.

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I’ve owned and played several vintage Fenders basses  , some were great and some were truly awful and not worth the money being charged , yes in many cases they are just  pieces of wood . It all boils down to personal taste weather it’s from Wal, Alembic , Spector , Fender etc . They all have something to offer . For some players including Anthony Jackson , Stanley Clarke, Jimmy Johnson ,Les Claypool to name but a few , there must be  good reason   to warrant playing  a  $30,000 bass .Agreed they are expensive but are comparatively cheap compared to classical instruments .

Edited by BritBass 2

During Dan Smith’s tenure  at Fender, he  ask the staff and management employed by Fender during the 50’s and 60’s as to why the old instruments were generally better built . Their answer was simple - as many failed quality control back then as did in the 1970’s . It’s just they stopped these reaching the market place where as CBS were happy to turn a blind eye and just release stock regardless of any issues.

Edited by BritBass 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

They could do FSR factory Special Runs of these...

I get your point. I’m not saying I’d buy one every 12 months.

Id be much happier if they introduced the configure your own USA standard thing they run in the US.

Good point , the Japanese regularly produce Factory Special Runs , it should be possible in US .

Edited by BritBass 2

5 hours ago, OliverBlackman said:

I’ve actually found a huge difference between Fender basses, even between ones produced in the same run (such is the lack of QC).

IMO, with the 60’s and 70’s basses, it isn’t just hype.

There is a lot of variation between 60s models, and some are much better than others, based on the sample I have played and own. I do like them and I also used to have a Morris Minor

Edited by GuyR

4 minutes ago, GuyR said:

There is a lot of variation between 60s models, and some are much better than others, based on the sample I have played and own.

Must admit I have found this myself (A terrible ‘63 comes to mind), but of those that I thought were great, nothing currently available (new) compares tonally. 

7 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Must admit I have found this myself (A terrible ‘63 comes to mind), but of those that I thought were great, nothing currently available (new) compares tonally. 

I had until recently a Bravewood and currently have a CS relic. I prefer the originals. 

22 hours ago, GuyR said:

There is a lot of variation between 60s models, and some are much better than others, based on the sample I have played and own. I do like them and I also used to have a Morris Minor

I thought they were all made at Cowley? I had an ex GPO yellow Van painted blue and two white Woodies.

• Haha 1

My first bass was a '73 Jazz, off the rack, sunburst (not painted under the pickgard, like Jaco's) maple neck w/ the big black markers. CBS. I sold it after I started playing a P bass frettless. I HAVE NEVER PLAYED ANOTHER BASS THAT PLAYED LIKE THAT ONE but I didn't realize it at the time how precious that m.f. was. That one just fell off the production line into a vat of fairy juice.

about 1989 I bought an original '62 P bass from a friend. It was stripped and french polished. It was a lovely thing to play and sounded good. In 1990 I bought my '73 P bass which I still have. It was better than the '62 . I prefered the neck and the sound. I was 22 and couldnt afford to keep both, so I sold the 62 for 550 quid.

I wish I hadn't sold it but I still have my '73. It is still the best bass I have played. I just don't know why