Why become a member? ×

Music to chase away family members, friends etc

The one album guaranteed to remove people from my room at university was, odd as it may seem, by ELO.  The second side of ELO2 is very easy listening compared to some of the others here, but From the Sun to the World and Kuiama were clearly a bit much for my Dire Straits loving friends. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Raslee said:

I used to find Mahavishnu Orchestra or Return to Forever got rid of all but the musician types, especially when I had a lodger who was a techno DJ 😂

Should have played them planetary citizen......... Hey ho, you wouldn't have got me out of your slippers and off your sofa had you have played such bangers to me. I'd be in your bed if you had graduated to Shakti 😍 xxxxx

All my selections are stuff I adore. I have to add one other album & cut. My second Frank Zappa album (when I was 11) was Weasles Ripped My Flesh. (first was Chungas Revenge) Both bought because of the titles. I liked W.R.M.F. alot better. The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbeque turned me on to E.D. (my favourite horn player). I figured if he deserved a  BBQ he must be IMPORTANT. And the title cut, man I wanted to be in a band that had the balls to end a show like that...

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

When I feel utterly desolate and need to wallow, while being simultaneously cheered I play Bish Bosch by Scott Walker. While it reaches deep into my soul, nobody else seems to want to hang around.

Now you mention that, Black sheets of Rain by Bob Mould, utterly miserable and brilliant at the same time. My wife hates it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

Just bought it. Sounds like my kind of thing

It’s brilliant, Bob Mould was going through a really rough patch of his life with band and relationship breakups and other problems. You can really hear it all come out through the album. And as we all know, happy people don’t write good music.............

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubit said:

I love all forms of Bob Mould, Hüsker Du, Sugar, solo. Great!

4 minutes ago, danbanbass said:

Love Bob Moulds later stuff especially! His Bassist Jason (Can't remember is surname) is an epic bass player, he  just does what's needed!

I had tickets to see him this summer. That’s all gone belly up sadly 😟

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/05/2020 at 19:26, Richard R said:

The one album guaranteed to remove people from my room at university was, odd as it may seem, by ELO.  The second side of ELO2 is very easy listening compared to some of the others here, but From the Sun to the World and Kuiama were clearly a bit much for my Dire Straits loving friends. 

You'd have had to have tried harder than that with me. I love that album.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

You'd have had to have tried harder than that with me. I love that album.

So do I. So did my school friends. But the uni lot? Nope. Maybe that's why I never lost touch with school friends,  but have none from university? 

• Like 1

Primus, Zappa, Kills witch Engage, Five Finger Death Punch, anything jazz based like Miles Davis or Weather Report/ Jaco scares off the Mrs. The kids generally love metal (both are under 4) and I used to sing them to sleep with NIB. 

If I want to get my Mrs complaining ( that's what would happen, she definitely wouldn't up and leave) I just need to put on Kylie. I don't particularly like Kylie but can appreciate some of her dance tunes but Mrs Ubit absolutely detests her. To the point where she gets angry if she comes on. I refuse to delete her songs as I like to have a variation on random but I am sure there are less of her songs on the computer than there used to be.

On 16/05/2020 at 18:29, visog said:

Anything by Allan Holdsworth... but boy do I like it!

My ex firstly heard Gong Gazeuse , saying oh no not hippy trippy crap. She loved it. Secrets became her favourite. She accompanied me to an AH gig @ Brentford Waterman's Arts Centre, there weren't many females at Holdsworth gigs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chrisbass13 said:

Allan Holdsworth usually does the trick for me.

1F075FD8-BE8C-4496-B9C7-B0A2D2FF01E7.jpeg

You can now blitz people with the Eidolon double CD, about 150 minutes of Allan. Luckily my Portuguese neighbour's son, no mean Fado'ey guitarist has now discovered he loves Allan. His girlfriend blames me however 😂

• Like 1

Haha yes Allan's Music seems to be a little challenging to people who come from different listening habits..... When I feel like I need some alone time and recharge, I listen to his music. My girlfriend thinks its weird....she does like some John Mclaughlin though! 

Just now, chrisbass13 said:

Haha yes Allan's Music seems to be a little challenging to people who come from different listening habits..... When I feel like I need some alone time and recharge, I listen to his music. My girlfriend thinks its weird....she does like some John Mclaughlin though! 

The ex sang in BBC symphony chorus and liked Messiaen, Henze and Bartok. .& from Weather Report to 1990s rave. My Stereo used to get some workouts.

• Like 1