Why become a member? ×

Make your own bass

phnod

Hello there,

Few months back, when I was walking around in the city I live, I saw that a luthier hosts a class to make your own bass.

Did one of you take this kind of class? Is it worth it? What should I check beforehand?

I kind of want my next bass to be one madeby my own hands. I really like the idea to know each piece of your bass and the gratification that is coming with.

• Like 1

I've never taken a class (unless you count watching endless hours of youtube videos on the subject) but I can certainly recommend building your own bass. It's highly addictive though!

I think the things I would check are:

- The luthier's work. Do they have a website where you can check out the basses they build? Maybe a youtube channel where you can see them at work and take a look at their workshop?

- What is provided in the cost of the course. Do they provide the wood, hardware, pickups etc, or are you expected to bring your own? If you need to pay for all that stuff on top of the cost of the course, it would be good to know beforehand, because it can add up.

If they look like they know what they're doing and the price is right, I say do it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Rexel Matador said:

- What is provided in the cost of the course. Do they provide the wood, hardware, pickups etc, or are you expected to bring your own? If you need to pay for all that stuff on top of the cost of the course, it would be good to know beforehand, because it can add up.

I didn't think about that part. Yet, it might be the most important one!

How many have you made @Rexel Matador

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/05/2020 at 11:05, Rexel Matador said:

I've never taken a class (unless you count watching endless hours of youtube videos on the subject) but I can certainly recommend building your own bass. It's highly addictive though!

I think the things I would check are:

- The luthier's work. Do they have a website where you can check out the basses they build? Maybe a youtube channel where you can see them at work and take a look at their workshop?

If they look like they know what they're doing and the price is right, I say do it!

This pretty much summarises it for me!

I've never taken class and have just learnt along the way by trial and error. There's a few good books and plenty of videos on YouTube but also quite a lot of useful information in these threads. Folk show you what has gone well but also when things go wrong!

Always worth seeing what wood and hardware is included in any course. Wood can get quite expensive depending on what you are looking for in your finished bass as can hardware.

Jon Shuker's courses always get a mention when people are looking for a building course and look like good value.

Just be prepared that it is a slippery slope - I only planned on making myself one bass but I got hooked and made a few more!

Cheers

• Like 1

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvin Hiscock (made up name) is my Bible. A course would be great if you were thinking of making a living out of it, but personally I'd get a good book and start building using cheap timber to start with, I made a jig that I use for fingerboard profiling and fret slot cutting, it was done on the cheap but works well. You can start of with plywood for bodies to get used to using a router and jigs for neck sockets, pup cut outs, control cavities etc then move on to decent timbers as you gain confidence. My next build is going to be a 64 P Bass, veneered board, vintage truss rod with body end adjustment, clay dots, etc

Edited by Bill Wy,Aye,Man
  • Like 1

The thing is that I live in an appartment in Paris. I can’t store any tools, wood or anything like that. 
So taking class seems, to me, the best deal to get an handmade bass made by me

• Like 1

On 09/06/2020 at 20:21, phnod said:

The thing is that I live in an appartment in Paris. I can’t store any tools, wood or anything like that. 
So taking class seems, to me, the best deal to get an handmade bass made by me

I live in a small flat too. It's not ideal, by any means, but not impossible!