Why become a member? ×

Audient id14 or Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 gen 3?

Thunderpaws

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

... I'm actually looking to go straight into a synth pedal from a bass via midi (without a laptop in between)...

It rules out the i2M Musicport, too, which goes to USB. I use it for playing (for instance...) flute, tuba or oboe lines on guitar or bass, as I'm more proficient (read : not quite as rotten...) on those than on keyboard, especially for bends and expression. The Sonuus tracks the analogue signal very well, as long as one stays strictly monophonic. I don't think that there's a 5-pin MIDI version. I've no issues with any notion of 'analogue to digital audio conversion' quality; it does what it says on the tin. It's true that I'm not (trying to...) play Robert Fripp lines, either, just a convincing-enough tuba with no double-tonguing. B|

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Si - I'm actually looking to go straight into a synth pedal from a bass via midi (without a laptop in between), so I think from what you have said that rules out the Focusrite option, if that needs to be done via a DAW.

I think it will rule out any interface other than the Sonuus, as it’s a very particular feature/conversion type.

What synth pedal is it?

Si // Focusrite 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Si - I'm actually looking to go straight into a synth pedal from a bass via midi (without a laptop in between), so I think from what you have said that rules out the Focusrite option, if that needs to be done via a DAW.

This is the holy grail Al, I have had no real success with it over a few years now. The sonnus does the job but to me it is a very mechanical process, not seamless at all. Sonicsmith had the squaver product which did enable direct pitch to midi (alongside their own synth module), it was good - a definate improvement on the sonnus - but still not there yet. Not sure if their latest product, I'm not sure it's out yet, will really hit the spot or not.

Then there is the midibass and variations on this theme.

Bottom line - it's either doesn't work well or it's very expensive or both. Personally I'm accepting that there are some great options out there that work really well with the bass - the C4, or FI or various pedal combos. Direct control of synths over midi is just not a realistic option though - much better controlled with keys or other dedicated midi controllers.

It does mean that you don't have your bass chops as such but perhaps this is not a bad thing. A lot of these sounds work because of how they are played rather than the sounds as such so there is almost a requirement to change the approach to achieve the result perhaps....

Others may have other views of info of course, this is just my take on it based on my experiences

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andybassdoyle said:

This is the holy grail Al, I have had no real success with it over a few years now. The sonnus does the job but to me it is a very mechanical process, not seamless at all. Sonicsmith had the squaver product which did enable direct pitch to midi (alongside their own synth module), it was good - a definate improvement on the sonnus - but still not there yet. Not sure if their latest product, I'm not sure it's out yet, will really hit the spot or not.

Then there is the midibass and variations on this theme.

Bottom line - it's either doesn't work well or it's very expensive or both. Personally I'm accepting that there are some great options out there that work really well with the bass - the C4, or FI or various pedal combos. Direct control of synths over midi is just not a realistic option though - much better controlled with keys or other dedicated midi controllers.

It does mean that you don't have your bass chops as such but perhaps this is not a bad thing. A lot of these sounds work because of how they are played rather than the sounds as such so there is almost a requirement to change the approach to achieve the result perhaps....

Others may have other views of info of course, this is just my take on it based on my experiences

Don’t disagree at all - what’s telling is looking at ‘The Pro’s’ they will often use keys recording and live for certain parts/songs where synth is required.

I know Krow is a Dua Lipa future nostalgia fan, classic case is the Dont Start Now song where the bassist flips between the 2.

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks Douglas - that's encouraging to hear (particularly as the feedback on the G2Mv3 / B2M I've had from others has been somewhat disappointing).

If I've understood correctly the Sonnus i2M provides additional recording interface capabilities to the G2M v3, but is otherwise the same tech? That could be useful to have, but my key immediate use is to be able to trigger a synth pedal e.g. the Moog Minitaur or Korg Volca FM with a bass rather than a keyboard. 

Does the i2M come with a USB --> 5 pin midi converter or would I need to buy that separately?

How are you using your i2M?

Also calling @stoo, @BigRedXand @Woodinblack as they're pretty knowledgeable about all this midi stuff! 

Reading through this, you are hoping to achieve pitch-to-MIDI for you bass somehow?

IME pitch to MIDI for bass is all but useless. The laws of physics are against you. The very best pitch to MIDI converters require a minimum of 1 1/2 cycles of the waveform in order to be able to identify the pitch you are playing and most of the time they will require more for warble-free note generation. On top of that you will almost certainly have to modify your technique to produce clean and accurate notes, as well as work extra hard on silent damping to prevent ghost notes and glitches.

I gave up on pitch to MIDI a long time ago and taught myself some rudimentary keyboard technique. The great thing is that for most synth bass lines you don't need to be brilliant keyboard player. For me it was a much quicker route to getting the sounds I wanted, and I didn't have to worry about whether it was the technology or my playing technique that was letting me down.

If you are absolutely set on using a bass guitar as a controller there's always the Industrial Radio MIDI bass, which uses fret sensing to get around the latency involved with pitch to MIDI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1