Left leaderboard
Alberto Rigoni

Best P you have ever tried?

I'm gagging for the 435 I bought a couple of months ago but sent it back when we went in to lockdown. Trying to buy it back from the shop. It  weighed spot on 8lbs and sounded better than my P34. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

IMG_20190213_041136_405.thumb.jpg.aab1fc87a5c847341d49a2a0a4f92c4f.jpg20190222_141324.thumb.jpg.8d248a6dc485ac0eabff7de7698c57d3.jpg20190413_221118.thumb.jpg.4d0e827aeda24f46ae12045a9459fbe9.jpg

New and old pbasses from my collection. 

You need to add a special one as well...!

1 hour ago, bigsmokebass said:

20190413_221118.thumb.jpg.4d0e827aeda24f46ae12045a9459fbe9.jpg

New and old pbasses from my collection. 

That black P looks like my old Squier JV. I put the same pick guard on mine. In fact i found the PG a few weeks ago. Covered with hologram stickers from the 80’s lol. 

As for those lovely burst Yamahas, thats not helping my 435 GAS. Wish i had got my P34 in burst now. 

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I'm gagging for the 435 I bought a couple of months ago but sent it back when we went in to lockdown. Trying to buy it back from the shop. It  weighed spot on 8lbs and sounded better than my P34. 

Wow. I never expected that.

Might get it to 7 3/4 or even 7 1/2 with some Hipshot Ultralites 

25 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Wow. I never expected that.

Might get it to 7 3/4 or even 7 1/2 with some Hipshot Ultralites 

I was blown away with how light it felt. Stupidly i sent it back, but have been enquiring about buying it back. 

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

I was blown away with how light it felt. Stupidly i sent it back, but have been enquiring about buying it back. 

What can I say? :facepalm:

14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What can I say? :facepalm:

When your wages are instantly cut by 40% and all gigs cancelled, a new bass just doesn't seem a priority lol. 

14 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

You need to add a special one as well...!

How special are we talking? 🧐😂

13 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

That black P looks like my old Squier JV. I put the same pick guard on mine. In fact i found the PG a few weeks ago. Covered with hologram stickers from the 80’s lol. 

As for those lovely burst Yamahas, thats not helping my 435 GAS. Wish i had got my P34 in burst now. 

Tbf, I've not played one for long enough side by side with the BBP35 to give you a proper review but the BB435 basses aren't too dissimilar. There are differences don't get me wrong BUT all in all, a £400 version of these basses are killer for the money! You won't regret it. 

If you're ever in the northwest, you can always drop by the try mine 👍🏻

3 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

How special are we talking? 🧐😂

Custom bigsmoke - one of a kind

• Haha 1

On 14/05/2020 at 12:11, chris_b said:

I've owned a Precision bass since March 1969. I only stopped playing it when I moved to 5 strings. After a 10 year gap playing Wals and Laklands, I bought my Mike Lull PJ5. Now that is the best P bass I've picked up so far.

June 2011 104.jpg

I have to admit that selling my PJ5 was stupid as .... I would tend to agree with  them being right up there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

Tbf, I've not played one for long enough side by side with the BBP35 to give you a proper review but the BB435 basses aren't too dissimilar. There are differences don't get me wrong BUT all in all, a £400 version of these basses are killer for the money! You won't regret it. 

If you're ever in the northwest, you can always drop by the try mine 👍🏻

Thanks. To be clear, i have a P34 and had a 435 (for a short time) and have played a P35. I prefer the tone of the 435, it sounded a bit closer to my fender, and was a lot lighter. If i could go back to last summer had thought about ti more I would have got a 434 instead of the P34, purely on preference and nothing at all wrong with the P34. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Custom bigsmoke - one of a kind

Ok, now we're talking 😉👌🏻

In "Sativa Green"? 😂😂

7 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Ok, now we're talking 😉👌🏻

In "Sativa Green"? 😂😂

Black one first - then I’ll do you a green one!

• Haha 1

I think I've only played 3 P basses, owned 2 of them.

So, it's got to be my current bista. A Squier VM Precision with the neck from a Fender Precision Blacktop. The MIK Squier P bass comes a close second. Last was the MIM Fender P, very underwhelming to be honest (glad I didn't spend the extra £s on it)

So here's my current P bass.

IMG_1432.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By badastronaut
      Carvin PB5 for sale. In mint condition! incl. original hardcase. A very well made and great playing passive P bass. The bass is pretty light (will weigh it later tonight) and has a string spacing of 19mm. 
      That's also the reason I'm selling it, I like the 17,5 mm on my Stingray 5 better.  The bass is located in the Netherlands but safe and secure shipping is not a problem. I have send quite a lot of basses to the UK without any problems. For more info or a soundsample send me a message!
      Asking price is 685 gbp. Trades are possible, 4/5/6 strings, fretted/fretless, just give it a try!

PB5 General Specifications:

5-string,
      bolt-on neck 
      scale length 34" 
      rosewood fingerboard with white dot inlays, 
      14" radius 
      Carvin locking bridge, strings through body 
      19 mm Stringspacing at the bridge

• By phagor
      For sale is this rather fetching Fender Elite Precision PJ which I bought new last May, and has been used for a couple of gigs and a session, so is in very good condition.
      Alder body, maple neck and ebony fingerboard. Metallic jade finish looks green-tinted gold, with parchment tort scratchplate and chrome hardware.
      The Elites have a number of nice features over previous series, including:
      Compound neck profile - C at the nut through to D up the neck Improved neck joint and cutaway 21 frets HiMass bridge, bone nut Spoke wheel truss rod adjustment Fender Elite Precision neck pickup, Fender Noiseless bridge pickup 18 V preamp with bass, mid and treble controls Active/passive switch, treble becomes a tone control in passive Option of through-body stringing This is the first Fender PJ I've played where the neck pickup sounds like a real precision. The bridge pickup can add bite or with the mid control up and treble down gets into Jaco territory. Both pickups with treble is a great modern pick or slap tone. A real all-rounder. Very light and easy to play too.
      It does have two scratches on the bottom of the body - where I was a bit careless putting it in a soft case with zips. Hard to see in normal light - see photos.
      Currently wearing a set of nearly-new DR Hi-beams. Comes with an unused SKB TSA-approved flight case, tools, strap locks etc.
      I'm only selling because sadly, with no gigs in the diary, something has to go.
      No trades, sorry. Happy for anyone to try/collect from South London/Surrey (KT4). I can arrange delivery at the buyer's expense.

My feedback: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/174020-feedback-for-phagor

• By Ashwood1985
      [SOLD]

Got this lovely 1982 tobacco burst Fender script JV Precision with a cream guard.
      Massive Mojo P bass tone. And looks the mutts nuts. Not many JVs like this around! Being sold with a Hiscox hardcase in good nick.
      Please check Paul’s detailed description on the bass on the sale thread from when I bought it. (Pasted below)
      I took it Leighton’s Guitar Workshop in Leigh-on-sea and got a full set up done on it including cleaning the pots and some fretwork. He also discovered that the truss nut was worn so replaced this. The replacement is a hex fitting rather than the original large cross head. I still have the original one which is in the hardcase in the event that the new owner wants to find a replacement for ‘original parts’ purposes, but it’s fully functional now.
      Action is currently set to allow for digging in to get the most of this tone machine. However with the fretwork and truss nut replacement it should be fine lower if that’s you’re vibe.
      Selling at cost: £1100
      £1000 for the bass after price drop plus £100 for the work done on it to bring it to tip top shape and the hiscox case.
      In Benfleet, Essex. Could arrange a meet or could courier at buyers expense seeing as it’s being sold with the hiscox. Obviously would prefer a hand-to-hand.
      Peace ✌🏼 

• By Captain Bassman
      Price drop £5,250 £5,000 cash
      or
      Trade considered with late model Status Series 2 or Series 3 5-string (headless or headed) with cash my way.
      Hi all,
      For sale, my beautiful 1966 Fender Precision in fantastic condition, all original (as far as I am aware) with original finish and original Fender hard case (including Fender catalogue).
      This is a player’s bass, not a case queen, but has been extremely well cared for by previous owners as well as by me.
       It has light signs of wear and some dings as you’d expect a 54 year old to have. I’ve gigged the bass extensively in the time I’ve owned it and always kept/transported it in a Hiscox LiteFlite case, not the OHSC.
      Apart from some minor body chips and scratches there are a couple of small dents in the neck behind frets 1-3 but these aren’t noticeable under the hand. There’s also some lovely light checking to the lacquer on the headstock and rear of the body. I’ve tried to capture these as best I can with my phone camera.
      Pups, pots, wiring and solder joints all look all original. The pups are still bonded to the black foam and backing plate. No dating is evident and I didn’t want to risk separating them to try and find out.
      Pots are stamped 6618 which I believe is week 18 of 1966 (kindly correct me if I’m wrong).
      The date stamp on the neck is partially faded and obscured by red ink but this is how it was when I bought it. To my eyes it reads 5 MAY 66 C. The neck is classic P chunky, solid and straight with a fully functioning truss rod and reverse tuners on the headstock.
      Beautiful striping on the rosewood fingerboard and there’s plenty of life left in the slim frets. The bass is currently strung with LaBella flats.
      Comfortably light, on the digital bathroom scales it comes in at 8.6 lbs / 3.9 kg.
      The case has a few dings and a couple of smallish rips but inside is clean and plush and all catches and hinges function (I don’t have the keys though). It came to me with a 1967-68 Fender catalogue inside which is in lovely condition and a really nice piece of history.
      This is a beautiful example of a mid-60’s P bass with a classic full burpy sound that sits so well in the band mix.
      Now... I know there are some real vintage aficionados and experts on the forum so in the spirit of openness and honesty I want to mention 3 things;
      Control knobs. These are more than likely the originals but still look brand new. I have no way of knowing as these were the knobs it came to me with but I am just saying as someone pointed it out to me.
      Ashtrays. Both are in really good clean condition and I believe are the originals. They show light scratching close up which doesn’t come out in the photos. Inside the bridge cover there is no evidence left of any foam mutes but there is some surface roughness in that area.
      E string tuner. Fully operational and stable but a bit stiffer than the other 3. I’ve had it apart and lubricated it, can’t see anything wrong, so it’s a bit better but wanted to point this out to potential buyers. 
      I’m offering this bass for sale only (no trades thank you) at a competitive price based on what I’ve seen similar condition basses advertised by reputable dealers.
      I’m happy to ship within UK only at the buyer’s expense or arrange personal socially-distanced collection within a reasonable radius (location KT18).
      No EU/overseas transactions due to CITES restrictions still in force around Brazilian rosewood.
      (More photos are available if needed).
      Many thanks for any interest!
      David

• By lucatus
      Hi!

Very serviceable P body bass in lovely yellow for sale. Bought it here a few years back, not sure of the wood.Got a box for it so we can discuss postage etc but collection/meet up in London (socially distancing) is much preferred. £40