Why become a member? ×

Best P you have ever tried?

Alberto Rigoni

5 minutes ago, Alberto Rigoni said:

Hey guys,

what's the best P (even not fender) ever made? Punchy, growly, defined.. and lightweight? Also five string?

Cheers!

Alberto

That would be my Jake... at least it fits the criteria for me!

Jake.jpg

I've owned a Precision bass since March 1969. I only stopped playing it when I moved to 5 strings. After a 10 year gap playing Wals and Laklands, I bought my Mike Lull PJ5. Now that is the best P bass I've picked up so far.

June 2011 104.jpg

• Like 2

I just bought the Sandberg VS4 from the marketplace on here, received it yesterday. I'm not a veteran bassist but it's a phenomenal instrument - very, very well made and it sounds enormous!! The active/passive switching is a great feature I never knew I needed, too.

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

This is my fav. No matter what other basses i get i cant stop playing this one. Its a bass ill never sell (mainly as you cant buy them anymore). 7090D945-0002-44E1-94D6-B0DD93426051.thumb.jpeg.752ff16eade4591b7f866b6b8ca94747.jpeg

That is gorgeous. I remember seeing the red and blue sandblasted basses around a bit and had some serious GAS for one, but sadly never actually saw one in person.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BruceBass3901 said:

That is gorgeous. I remember seeing the red and blue sandblasted basses around a bit and had some serious GAS for one, but sadly never actually saw one in person.

Thanks. I’d love a red Jazz version (although not at the moment). I was lucky to get this. I went from having no idea about them to buying it used on line within a few hours. Got it for £700 IIR, inc gig bag. Ive always loved the look of black hardware on Sadowsky’s, so this was my  inspiration to ‘black it up’. Also now sporting a EMG GB pup. 

Not keen on fat P bass necks, but this is slim enough to feel really comfortable.

Edited by dave_bass5

Since we’re posting four strings too, I love my 64. It’s everything I dreamed it would be.

51DEBDCB-A822-4B6D-AF7D-55F9EC827BE7.thumb.jpeg.dcc1bd08ee35d517b0735e70f1694aa7.jpeg

As far as value for money 5-string P/Js go, my Yamaha BB435 is stupendous. One of too many I have, so it’s in the classifieds, but worthy of a place in anyone’s collection.

E18C20DC-B1D1-46D1-8D58-382CD6EEC8FA.thumb.jpeg.cb0fe445fcb06e97de9c48a05f49d81a.jpeg

• Like 2

I have had a few P's in the Fender variety. Two that I really thought were keepers, light weight, growl and that vintage vibe, a late 60's and early 70's , but alas both gone now.. Funny now I have a Dee Dee signature P from recent times and it's not half bad!

19 hours ago, therealting said:

Since we’re posting four strings too, I love my 64. It’s everything I dreamed it would be.

51DEBDCB-A822-4B6D-AF7D-55F9EC827BE7.thumb.jpeg.dcc1bd08ee35d517b0735e70f1694aa7.jpeg

As far as value for money 5-string P/Js go, my Yamaha BB435 is stupendous. One of too many I have, so it’s in the classifieds, but worthy of a place in anyone’s collection.

E18C20DC-B1D1-46D1-8D58-382CD6EEC8FA.thumb.jpeg.cb0fe445fcb06e97de9c48a05f49d81a.jpeg

1: Lovely!

2: Aren't those Yamaha's stupid heavy?