Why become a member? ×

Opinions required... Nut or neck pocket?

Now how I didn't notice is beyond me, but my new Fender's strings are slightly out on the neck - G is closer to the edge (quelle surprise). Now it's not slipped off when playing so its not that bad. So looking at the pics do you think it is the nut or does it need a little tug on the neck, or would you just leave it. It's in warranty so, I could t just call PMT and have a word. Just wanted some opinions first. Many thanks in advance for all your knowledge and expertise. IMG_20200513_192607.thumb.jpg.f813001761c8e9acb953d416f1180a1e.jpg

IMG_20200513_192838.jpg

It does look a tiny bit naughty, but i suppose it depends on what your OCD is like.

If it does not affect playability, then you can argue that we can live and let live, however, one should expect it to be pretty good and probably not be like this.

Friend of mine had a trouble with the bridge being slightly off on a brand new fender he got from PMT - maybe PMT get the duds?!

The only OCD I suffer with is slopey pictures on walls.... hate it😀. This does not really upset me, but I suppose I have a warranty. The only thing I would do would be to loosen the neck and tweak it, if people thought it may be that. Nut and bridge issues would be warranty issues obviously.  Could it affect the intonation? It seems OK, but until I put new strings on it I won't mess too much. I remember my westone had the worst intonation issues ever. Drove me mad. Forgot about new strings for ages... what a surprise,  they sorted it. 

Is there any room to tweak? If there is, give it a go. If that doesn't do the trick, then if it really bothers you, send it back.

I've owned, and played regularly, a Squier with a G string that was worse than yours, but I only paid £95 secondhand for it, so wasn't too bothered.

Opinion from an amateur luthier, if I may.  As near as can be seen from the photo, your strings appear to be off centre to the neck, but parallel to its edges.  Either your neck is "off centre line" to the bass body, (pocket issues?), or your nut and bridge need moving across fractionally.  If you start loosening and moving the neck in the pocket, there is a good chance you will end up with the strings running at an angle to the fingerboard. If you try and fix it by recentering the bridge and nut, your bridge will probably leave a "footprint" in your paintwork. Might also be worth straight edging your neck just to make sure it isn't curved or twisted fractionally - again, cant always tell from photos. IMHO, I would be talking to wherever you purchased it from about warranty.  Hope that helps and good luck!

Edited by STG
Typo imhi/imho
  • Like 3

It does look slightly off, and I am positive you can readjust by reseating the neck in the pocket... but for such a small difference, personally I would not bother.

Of course, if it bothers you, and that's what matters :) then you can always reseat it yourself. It's easy. 

On 14/05/2020 at 14:17, STG said:

Opinion from an amateur luthier, if I may.  As near as can be seen from the photo, your strings appear to be off centre to the neck, but parallel to its edges.  Either your neck is "off centre line" to the bass body, (pocket issues?), or your nut and bridge need moving across fractionally.  If you start loosening and moving the neck in the pocket, there is a good chance you will end up with the strings running at an angle to the fingerboard. If you try and fix it by recentering the bridge and nut, your bridge will probably leave a "footprint" in your paintwork. Might also be worth straight edging your neck just to make sure it isn't curved or twisted fractionally - again, cant always tell from photos. IMHO, I would be talking to wherever you purchased it from about warranty.  Hope that helps and good luck!

Sorry mate, I missed your reply. There is no room in the pocket to adjust anyway. I think it is the string tree and nut to be fair. Could be the bridge too I suppose. I have spoken to the seller and will just take it in when they reopen. Don't want to mess too much to be honest.  Really appreciate the advice though👍

• Like 1