Why become a member? ×

I have to get a fender and I dont like them Dohhh

grimbeaver

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='426124' date='Mar 5 2009, 01:16 PM']LOL. You and your black scratch plates.

I agree though. Black and white look fantastic.[/quote]

HAHAHA its all your fault for showing me the pictures of your red DD with black scratchplate. I was not even looking at ore considering a Lakland until I saw your pictures :):)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='425944' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:23 AM']I love the one on the left and I'm usually all about the maple.[/quote]

The one on the right (maple) is my No.1 and it will be seeing action tonight.

[quote name='bremen' post='425906' date='Mar 5 2009, 10:52 AM']Plastic punks: The Clash (runs for cover...)[/quote]

While the Clash eventually went on to suck on the corporate tit, i wouldn't say that joe Strummer and his beliefs were contrived, or plastic as you say, he may have been an arse at times but i think he really did mean what he said and he treated his followers and fans with a lot of respect.

Raise a toast to St. Joe Strummer
I think he might’ve been our only decent teacher

[quote name='thebeat' post='426526' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:00 PM']While the Clash eventually went on to suck on the corporate tit, i wouldn't say that joe Strummer and his beliefs were contrived, or plastic as you say, he may have been an arse at times but i think he really did mean what he said and he treated his followers and fans with a lot of respect.

I think he might’ve been our only decent teacher[/quote]

Yeah +1. They were the only white people who could play reggae aswell. Did they ever say they were punks?

[quote name='thebeat' post='426526' date='Mar 5 2009, 06:00 PM']While the Clash eventually went on to suck on the corporate tit, i wouldn't say that joe Strummer and his beliefs were contrived, or plastic as you say, he may have been an arse at times but i think he really did mean what he said and he treated his followers and fans with a lot of respect.

I think he might’ve been our only decent teacher[/quote]

I think you're right and I don't know what came over me. Bad day at work. The Clash had a great deal of substance to go with their style, and it was only their latterday Rock Star posturing that turned me off.

[quote name='bremen' post='426613' date='Mar 5 2009, 07:43 PM']I think you're right and I don't know what came over me. Bad day at work. The Clash had a great deal of substance to go with their style, and it was only their latterday Rock Star posturing that turned me off.[/quote]

~Must admit that i went through a period of dis-enchantment with the band myself, Mick Jones and his posing kinda turned me off and i was well pissed off when Topper was sacked, Cut the Crap had me reaching for the sick bag and i almost gave up on the band...then i realised that what i liked about the Clash was their fallability as much as anything else.

As an alternativeto a mass-produced Squier etc, why not get Prosebass (aka Paul Rose) of BassChat to make you one to order?

Paul made me a Paul Simonon/Clash clone P-bass (white with tort s/p, m/n, cream DiMarzio p/u) for a very reasonable price and the quality is excellent. You could always (as I may have done, cough) put a Fender 70s decal on the headstock (cost <£10)

Unfortunately the photos of my bass on the link in my signature (below) have disappeared but I'm sure Paul would happily send you some.

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425797' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:19 AM']Hi Guys,
I have never owned or wanted to own a fender J or P After lots of different guitars I have settled on a Warwick $$ and a Gibson Thunderbird through all Eden gear and am very happy.

However.... I have a new project that I am about to join thats a UK punk & pistols tribute and have to have the look as well as the sound. a big white flag covers my beutiful Eden gear so thats ok but I need to get hold of a white fender with black scratch plate.

Having never owned one I am a bit baffled by the whole range USA, chinese, P MIMN???? so what would you recommend?

The Tbird has a slim neck as does the $$ so should I be getting a Jazz? do they look the same, do I get upgraded pickups etc as I couldnt do with a crap sound, I love a new string clanky crisp sound through 10" speakers and only play fingerstyle.

Do I get a lakland or something that looks the same (mega bucks I know)

I know I will get some good advice from you guys so thanks in advance[/quote]

I believe Tokai have started their line of basses again. Well made stuff usually.
Also, Fender "Roscoe Beck" bass hass two big passive humbuckers with plenty of sound options via mini switches. Nice necks to play too.

[quote name='grimbeaver' post='425807' date='Mar 5 2009, 09:30 AM']I had a look at them and to be honest was concerned that its not active ( I know the t bird is passive) I wanted 2 independant pick ups , it just specs up a bit cheap and nasty[/quote]

Trust me, although Fender/Squier can certainly be variable, ' cheap and nasty' isn't in the right ball park anymore.

[quote name='stunbass' post='425950' date='Mar 5 2009, 11:25 AM']Will the audience care ?.[/quote]

Absolutely not. But the band will, so go for the Squier VM precision (and a good setup if the shop don't do it) - job done, not too much moolah laid out. And, who knows, you might just find out what a Precision is all about. :)
If you MUST have 2 pickups/active then, as mentioned, the Fender Deluxe Active P is the one, but that's twice the dosh, basically.

Great gig to get, congrats and enjoy it!

There's a Squier here that would probably do the job if it's going to be a one off tour with a bass you're possibly chucking about in a punky sort of way;
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-Precision-Bass-Guitar-Mint-Condition_W0QQitemZ250383354223QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item250383354223&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Squier-Precis...A1%7C240%3A1318[/url]

i like the vintage modified on ebay someone posted earlier, thats what i'd go for.

but if you really want 2 pickups and active, i'd go for [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=43089"]this[/url], not sure about how much they usually cost, but that seems a decent price for what it is.

Hey mate i think if you're just going on one tour with this bass then there's little point getting a really expensive bass. Think about it this way: You're basically buying a shiny new posh merc for a banger race! It's probably gonna get buggered anyway so you might as well just go with the squier. I bet Sid would have had one had they existed back in his day. Cheap basses don't suck at all, my bass cost £200 and it's great to play. Sounds pretty mint too.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I read a interview in bass magazine last year I think, with Glen Matlock who said that the bass he was playing on stage was a mexican p bass that Fender gave him as a freebie as his other p was an oldie and too good to take out on tour.

If it`s good enough for him then I say go for it. He did play a ricki at some point as well. Anyway, good luck with the gig, sounds like fun!

Jez

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39330"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39330[/url]
If you really don't want a P, it makes sense to get the cheapest playable P copy you can find. If you really want it active, chuck in an Artec 2-band eq.