Why become a member? ×

Pearl Pickguards on black basses.. pics?

TbirdnTalman

Hi

This is my first post here so please don't flame... I have searched here and various other places in doing some research for a pickguard change (you might, or might not, say upgrade). I have just got a black Talman short scale as a variation from my Thunderbird but want to change the black guard for something else. I don't hate the black guard (I do like the all black look too) but just fancy a change. I'm thinking perhaps tort (being pushed by teenage son) but also fancy a white pearl grey/black pearl or even blue / green / purple. I know that some will like and some will gag and whilst I do of course value opinions what I really would appreciate please are pictures! Does anyone have a pic of their own or even someone elses coloured or black/grey pearl guard on a black guitar... struggled to find even on google!! There may of course be a good reason for this but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Thanks very much

Mark

Welcome Mark.

"Tort"...  oh boy.  You might have opened up a small can of worms.  Let's just be thankful you aren't asking whether to refinish in a red or a brown burst.

Heeheehee.

PS:  None of my basses have pickguards so I can't really express an opinion.

15 minutes ago, TbirdnTalman said:

Thanks, I was just trying to save time between doing a day full of Teams meetings..... mahoosive apologies  🙁

No apologies necessary.  I was pulling your leg to some extent.

You will find that pickguards can be more controversial than you'd ever imagined all the same.

3 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

Try this one for size, I do like the look myself so I brought a white pearl guard for my black Precision, I tend to like it for a while, then suddenly decide it looks too flash and swap back to the black one again!

Bruce_Foxton.jpg

That’s the one I was going to suggest. 

Could work...
3CCCB1D8-D0D2-444A-9A6F-200923D7730E.jpeg.397a60aef8afb5d5464c40de5f32b0d0.jpeg

I was given the Talman as a gift so decided to throw a little of my own cash and pimp it up a bit with a better bridge (mine’s a 2017 and had a really cheap BBOT with sharp bits stuck out - I’ve noticed the newer ones come with a better bridge from the factory), some decent pickups and a complete rewire with better parts. Never occurred to me to change the guard, though.

Love the name @TbirdnTalman! Can't help wonder how long some names would be if certain Basschatters were to adopt the same approach.

Anyway, colour of pickguard. A simple question, with a simple answer. Tort. 

Some make the mistake of thinking tortoiseshell is the perfect pickguard because it goes with everything. This is of course quite wrong. 

It's the perfect pickguard because it improves everything. 

Happy to help 😊

Edited by stewblack

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Love the name @TbirdnTalman! Can't help wonder how long some names would be if certain Basschatters were to adopt the same approach.

I could get away with it as JakenElwoodnStingray, only problem is people might take it as being about my favourite film (which would be fine) and TV series (which would  might be fine but I've never seen it).

12 hours ago, TbirdnTalman said:

Thanks guys you have reinforced my thoughts 🙂  Ed I might pester you at some stage to let me know what bridge you have put on!

No worries - in case it's of any interest to anyone else reading this thread later, it's just a Wilkinson 'WBBC' - still very affordable but so much better than what came on it. Like I said, though, just be careful because I've seen pictures of newer TMB-30s with Ibanez B10 bridges on them and the holes for fitting those are different.

If you have an older one like mine with 5 screws down the back of the bridge and none at the front, then just about any 5-hole bridge marketed as a direct drop-in upgrade for the basic fender/squier-style bridge should fit fine, though of course it's always worth checking the manufacturer's specs to be certain.

If you have a newer one with 4 offset screws down the back of the bridge (one to the right of each string) and two more at the front, then I think the Ibanez B100 would be a drop-in upgrade but I'm not entirely sure what your 3rd party options are - if any - for using the same holes in the body. Of course you can fill, drill and fit anything you like, but if you were wanting to upgrade just for playing comfort and function rather than aesthetics, I'd be very tempted to leave it as-is because the B10 is already a perfectly comfortable and adjustable bridge, in my own experience at least.

Dear All

Thanks for your replies and thoughts.... useful and amusing! Thanks Ed for the tech advice I'll copy and paste that for future reference. And thanks for the advice on the tort, my son has a mint green tele with a tort guard which looks nice. I have found a part number for a white TMB100 so I'll either order that and drill the extra hole or get one made, I have found some recommendations here and elsewhere

Re the name, I've always struggled to think of good ones for forum memberships but luckily this one was easier with two T's!!!

Have a good weekend!!!

• 3 years later...

OK, so thread resurrection time....

Firstly you'll see the name is no longer correct....

Secondly the black Talman is still all black (at the moment)

Thirdly, @stewblack you'll see there is now some tort in my world, on my HB SBK PB20 (now with quarter pounder and a Gotoh bridge).

Finally, (the whole point of this) light mint green pearl conversion (courtesy of earlpilanz) on fairly recently acquired 96 Jazz from dark pearl (before) to (after) with correct knobs and control plate..... so thanks everyone for the input, got there in the end (and there is a white pearl pickguard ready just in case)!

Now tempted to switch the PU covers on the Tbird to chrome....

YFENDER11688909__06590.jpg

jazz upgraded 1.jpg

• Like 1