Why become a member? ×

Advice on parts for P Bass "build"?

barrycreed

1 hour ago, fester said:

I’ve just bought one of those bridges from northwest in black for a build i’m doing,really good quality,much better than i was expecting to be fair.Ive always bought quality branded bridges in the past.....don’t think i’ll be spending the extra £££££ from now on tho

👍 I've had the Gotoh and the Northwest side by side and they are practically identical except for the price.

I see no reason to use any other bridge since I discovered these 🙂

• Like 1

How does the Northwest bridge fare v the Wilkinson one. As I mentioned, I have a Wilkinson one on my Vintage V4, but it's been a long time since I would have played anything with a "decent decent" bridge, so have nothing to compare it off. No problems with Wilkinson bridges on any guitars I have played with them, such as teles etc.

On 13/05/2020 at 15:50, nilebodgers said:

Interesting thread - I have been vaguely looking at the NW guitars Jazz bass necks since I got a s/h Jazz Bass.

It has reminded me that I prefer the Jazz neck profile and I am thinking I might want to try a Jazz neck on my P-Bass.

Do it!

• 4 months later...
On 13/05/2020 at 20:16, TheGreek said:

I like the three on the left....virtually free too. I have a genuine Fender Hi-Mass bridge I bought for my Squier PJ but decided against as it nearly half the price of the bass..are any of these a like for like swap...you know, undo the screws, swap 'em over, replace the screws???

image.thumb.png.7941f6d138a2570663f9cce3b86339a3.png

Still a vote of confidence for these bridges? The 3rd from left appeals to me, but not sure of the advantages/disadvantages v the last one on the right.

55 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

Still a vote of confidence for these bridges? The 3rd from left appeals to me, but not sure of the advantages/disadvantages v the last one on the right.

I guess it's like a halfway between high mass and old school L-shape.  There are things to be said for both - arguably with a lower mass bridge more of the string resonance will be transferred to the body shortening the sustain but making the bass feel more live and changing the tone.

Or something like that! People have very strong views on it as you'd expect 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2020 at 08:16, fester said:

I’ve just bought one of those bridges from northwest in black for a build i’m doing,really good quality,much better than i was expecting to be fair.Ive always bought quality branded bridges in the past.....don’t think i’ll be spending the extra £££££ from now on tho

I have three P basses that are keepers and all three have a Northwest bridge fitted 😉

• Like 1